Replacing kitchen strip light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a new house that has a fluorescent strip light in the kitchen which is a bit naff! It takes five seconds to come on and looks like an office light!

As far as I can see, it's only connected to the ceiling in the centre; would it therefore be relatively easy to take it down and put up a small 3-light spotlight?

Ta

Simon

Sponsored Links
Cheers Davy - you must get the record for the quickest reply ever ;)

I'm assuming that when I take down the strip light there will be three wires dangling out of the ceiling which I stick into the new light.

Nothing to lose by trying I suppose!

Simon

There may be more than 3 conductors so remember to make a note of what went where on the old fitting so if it all goes tits up you can put the old one back. :)

Davy

Sponsored Links
simonpearce said:
Cheers Davy - you must get the record for the quickest reply ever ;)

I'm assuming that when I take down the strip light there will be three wires dangling out of the ceiling which I stick into the new light.

Nothing to lose by trying I suppose!

Simon

note which wires go where!!!!

you better have a good look at this BEFORE you start its normal to have 9 wires not 3! take note of the switch wire -its black but is live when switch is on so should have a red sleeve put one on if its not there. its possible your light may have all the wires tucked up away in connector block with just the 3 you were expecting hanging down. either way make sure the electricity is off before you start and make sure theres plenty of daylight left -it allways takes longer than you expect!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back