Replacing my 7.5kw shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Triton T80i 7.5Kw shower seems to be broken. The MCB tripped the other day, and when I switched it all back on, the shower worked again, but the water now gets only barely warm.
I'm probably going to have to replace it.

So my question is: Can I replace the 32A type B MCB with a 40A and be able to get a 8.5kW or 9.5kW shower without replacing the cabling (the cabling is 6mm)?

Some more info: the shower was installed (before I bought the house) on it's own consumer unit connected directly to the meter tails. The rest of the house is on a seperate consumer unit. The shower's consumer unit seems to be made by a company called SAIP. The actual MCB is square-ish rather than rectangular, and has the switch and test button to one side of it. It is marked "Ashley and Rock Supa Safe 32A B".
Any answers or comments gratefully received!
Mark

Sponsored Links
If you want a larger shower you need to make sure that your supply is adequate and the cable is installed as to accomodate the additional load. You must not just swop an MCB without determining this first. This will also require notification to your local area building control under part P of the building regs.
Swopping the shower for one of the same size does not require notification.

The MCB you describe sounds like an RCD. can you show us a picture?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back