Replacing Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace my old potterton PRT1 room thermostat with a Potterton PRT2 thermostat but am a bit unsure where the wires should go_On the PRT1 it is wired as below

4 4 2 1
N N * L
no wire Blue Yellow Red

The new thermostat PRT2 has the following terminals

2 3 4 5
Com H TL N

Any help on how to wire the new thermostat would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
not being funny, but didn't you find a wiring diagram in the box, or on the inside of the cover?

I can understand your PRT1 ok. Some stats only need two wires. A live input and a switched live output. Most likely the red will be live input and the yellow the switched live output. going to the pump or motorised valve. Some stats have a small electrical load in the form of a miniture heater and for that to function there must be a neutral and that will be the blue wire, which will join up in the terminal box with other blue wires.
Regarding the PRT2 I have looked at www.climatecenter.co.uk/shared_devweb_27sep02/prdinfo/tech/179Y79/339079.html which shows the supposed connections of PRT1 and PRT2.
It would appear from the terms used N is still Neutral. L (live) becomes TL ( probabley Thermostat Live ) on PRT2. H is still H (which must be the switched live).
Don't know if this helps.I can't explain the 'com' terminal without examination and test.
Let me know the outcome
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All sorted out thanks Mandate. JohnD thanks for your help as well,yes there was a wiring diagram in the box but if i understood what it meant i would not of posted on this forum for help would i.looking at a few posts on these boards there seem to be alot of people like you just taking the p*ss out of people like me who having zero electrical knowlege,all i did was ask for help on a public forum how silly of me.Anyway thanks again Mandate wish there were a few more on here like you.

Sponsored Links
Donver, people like you do not deserve any help. One light-hearted comment and you throw insults at everyone. Perhaps you'd like to learn how to type before slagging off other people.

Go away, you rude man (although you probably have already, now you've got what you wanted).

DONVER, fault finding is a precise skill in which the first rule is 'assume nothing'. You came here looking for help and barked at the first person applying rule number 1, which if you had bothered to explain you had a diagram in the first place would have saved our time, which is given freely. This is your only post I will be replying to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back