Replacing rotten door frames...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiy all,

As the external door frames were neglected by the previous owners, the bottom 3 inches or so on each of them need replacement.

The rest of the frame is OK, so therefore I would rather not change the whole lot.

I have been led to believe that the frames are hardwood and should therefore be repaired with hardwood too. The wood in the diy sheds is all pine and never seems to be of very good quality ?

If it needs to be hardwood, can I buy a section of door frame or do I have to buy a 'blank' piece of hardwood and shape it myself....any good suppliers online so that I can get an idea of cost ? Same questions apply to replacing a rotten window ledge too!

Any help willing received, sorry if this is a really basic question
Steve

Sponsored Links
You can buy a lump of hardwood from a proper timber merchant (not a DIY shed (some of them call themselves Timber Importers).

It is possible to buy frame sections but they will probably not be the same as your old one.

I'm not much good at woodwork, but when I had a rotten section on a window surround, I talked it over with the joiner, went and bought a piece of teak in nearly the right size, then he routed out a slot, glued and sealed the new bit in, and then shaped it with his router and planed the front surface. It was quite a simple section.

Your frames will probably be in a red tropical hardwood which is sometimes inaccurately called mahogany.

(I have the advantage of an old fashioned timber merchant in my small town with a great barn full of useful bits and pieces in a "find it yourself" disarrangement.)

Where abouts in Cornwall are you? If you go to the north coast, you will find great baulks of whatever type of wood you want washed up on the shore.

Woodstock in Falmouth do lumps of exotic hardwood, and last time i looked had a shed of scrap bits of odd sizes (though they have recently moved ..so who knows now)... and when picking up wood from the beech beware the Tax man!... last time i went to "find" some the VAT man was waiting to charge tax on any bit that came off the beech... so we all had a huge bonfire instead.

Sponsored Links
Just need to say thankyou for your replies, especially sidecar_jon,
Woodstock proved to be the answer...

I had discounted them as their Website only mentions their flooring, but sure enough I was able to get 2 x 30" plus lengths of Hardwood and as they were 'offcuts' only cost me £10 for the two bargain of the century.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back