Replacing single light with low voltage spotlights. Request.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace an existing single light with 4 new spotlights (bathroom)and have purchased the low voltage type, each with their own transformer supplied. Do I need to break each one into the loop? Or can they be linked?
Anyone out there that can help?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Bathroom lighting is notifiable work as bathrooms are special locations, if you need to ask simple questions like this you should not be doing the work.

:rolleyes:

Taylortwocities said:
Bathroom lighting is notifiable work as bathrooms are special locations, if you need to ask simple questions like this you should not be doing the work.

:rolleyes:
oh please. put your ego away and give him a chance.

if you have access to the loft, this will be a whole lot easier. What wires do you have at the bathroom light? if theres a bundle of them, with loop connections etc, you need to replicate these connections in the loft in a junction box. And where the bathroom light fits into the circuit, you need to have a cable to feed your new lights. Just loop from one Tx to the next, finishing with the last one. If you need diagrams on loop-in wiring, see the "for reference" page at the top of "electrics uk"

If the bathroom light is fed by a single wire, this is very easy stuff - just take this wire out and use it to feed the 4 Tx's.

Fix the Tx's to a board in the loft, where it is not liable to get covered in insulation. Do not bury them in insulation. And where the lights are, cut out a bit of insulation about 20cmx20cm so they can dissipate the heat.

But, yes, this work is very notifiable under part p of the building regulations. If in doubt over your competence to do this work, please consult a qualified and registered electrician.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Crafty.
Understood the content of your message and feel perfectly competent about carrying out this task. However, if it's notifiable, I'll just do the groundwork and have a sparky check it out before I connect it up. I've already brought the lights and the T&E anyway and am aware of the components that need to breathe (shame, because I've just boarded and fully insulated my loftspace, this job was an after thought as I've just had the ceiling replastered).
It's a good oppurtunity to tidy up the wiring as I don't that would have passed any inspection in the condition that I found it!
I appreciate your time and your positive response to my simple problem. It probably took you less time to type than the egoman, and was considerably more helpful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back