replacing stair treads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a broken tread on my stair.

I can get to the underneath, so fixing shouldn't be a problem but was planning to use 18mm mdf rather than solid wood.

Anyone any ideas if this would cause problems?

Stair will be carpeted so it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
mmm several points here

when you say broken what do you mean accross the grain or along the grain!!!!

dependant on stair construction
the risers are normaly set into the nose of the treads
the treads are set into the sides and wedged in
the usual way to replace a tread is from behind remove the wedges and any glue blocks remove the lower riser from under the nosing
now if your lucky you will be able loosten the riser at the back drop the step into the wedgepocket and pull out if not you may have to drop out the back riser

personaly i cant see a reason for mdf you cant change your mind at a later date cos if you strip and varnish it will stand out like a sore thumb

to be honest, i think the previous owner had a go at repairing the tread, which has finally gave up.

The reason for the failure, is that they cut a hole in the middle of the tread to get under the stair and I think that has weakened the tread too much.

I can replace the tread with wood, but in our lifetime, the stair will never be un-covered.

Sponsored Links
well dependant on dammage you could screw you mdf to the back of the stair cut out another bit of mdf or wood to fill the hole

but this does depend on the dammage and wether you can see it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back