Replacing the underground mains supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's happened at last - the galavanised iron water supply pipe to my house has finally rusted through after 51 years in my acid soil! Replacing it is not going to be easy as the supply divides into two rising mains, each of which has since been overbuilt by solid-floored extensions, beneath which is the leak. A further problem is that both the kitchen and the bathroom stopcocks are no longer on external walls, so I will have to run the new supply pipe to a new stopcock in the nearest room to the supply meter, and take a feed upstairs (it's only a bungalow) into the existing cold water tank, and also back-feed fresh water across the loft and down to the kitchen sink. Not ideal, but the only way I can think of. It's also the only room that has a suspended floor, so the point of entry will be easier to drill. The old stopcocks will of course be blanked off and a few other alterations made to the plumbing arrangement.

Can someone please refresh my memory as to the required depth for the new plastic pipe - I always thought it was 2ft6ins but the connection to the meter certainly isn't that deep. And at what depth will it have to enter the house wall - is that the same?

Many thanks, Alec.

Sponsored Links
Minimum 750 mm depth.
Best asking your water company to come and advise you.
I looked into replacing my incoming main and it worked out just under £1000 :eek: for Severn Trent to do the job.
If you do most of the work yourself, you will still have to pay WC to connect your supply to the boundary :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back