Replacing Timeswitch & Immersion Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of replacing my ageing mechanical timeswitch for a newer digital programmer. At present the timeswitch operates on a single channel basis as I have a Gloworm boiler which heats the water & rads. I also have an immersion heater with a switch that can be used indepedantly of the boiler to heat water for instance in summer when no rad heating is required.

What I propose to do is replace the above with a dual channel programmer whereby the CH side would be connected to the boiler & the HW side connected to the immersion heater. This would allow me to use the immersion heater in summer on a timer programme without the house getting warm.

What do you guys think ? Is this feasible ?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Regards

Scott

Sponsored Links
swaters said:
What I propose to do is replace the above with a dual channel programmer whereby the CH side would be connected to the boiler & the HW side connected to the immersion heater.
This won't work without a relay.

This would allow me to use the immersion heater in summer on a timer programme without the house getting warm.
For this you need an immersion heater timer - a CH/DHW programmer will not take the current required for an IH element, unless you use a relay.

What do you guys think ? Is this feasible ?
I think it's a weird and cheapskate solution.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
I recommend that you buy and install proprietary products.

I advise you don't use the Immersion heater at all. Use the gas boiler to heat the HW, it's still cheaper.
Your system may or may not need modification to let you do that without the CH .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back