Replacing water damaged floor boards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace part of the floor board in the bathroom which has suffered from water damage when the cistern leaked.

At present it is 18mm chipboard, which is what I intend to use. Do I need to put some sort of water proof sealant on the board before I put the carpet back? I ask as the current board has a black coating of some sort. If so, what is it or what should I use.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
frembrit said:
Do I need to put some sort of water proof sealant on the board before I put the carpet back?

you could , but it didnt do a lot of good last time.

if it were me, i wouldnt put the carpet back. I have always hated carpet in bathrooms, if there is a leak (as you had) the carpet will absob it and you wont know. i always put down lino or similar, not carpet

You need the V313 chipboard which is moisture resistant. I've got it for all my floors (not sealed with anything), and have accidentally kicked the dog's water bowl over loads of times. The water just lies on the top & doesn't soak in at all.

Sponsored Links
Mine's green kev, I don't know if it all is though. I would definitely use it again.

If you seal the board, where will the water run to?

Your damaged chipboard may have saved you from having to repair the ceiling underneath (presuming its upstairs).

Oh and lose the carpet :) Natural wood planks or ceramic tiles are great!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back