replastering after downlights have been installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering whether or not its a good idea to install the downlights first on my ceilings and then plaster....(the ceiling have that crappy chipboard paper on them...which is near impossible to remove)..so i was thinking of just plastering over it...any ideas...which should be done...i guess the lights canbe taken out and then cieling could be replastered...but not sure if this method is correct..

Sponsored Links
You really should remove all the paper on the ceiling - its a pain but worthwhile doing. As for the downlighters, if possible skim the ceiling prior to installing the downlighters. I think you get a much neater finish drilling the holes after skim. If thats not possible then you can skim with the downlighters hanging out the ceiling, but the cables always interupt what should be a straightforward skim - they get in the way :eek:

disconnect the lamps from the cables and push the cables up out of the way.

draw a plan of the holes.

overboard and skim.

drill new holes, fish the wires and re-connect the lamps.

dunno if the extra board thickness will be a problem though? :confused:

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
disconnect the lamps from the cables and push the cables up out of the way.

draw a plan of the holes.

overboard and skim.

drill new holes, fish the wires and re-connect the lamps.

dunno if the extra board thickness will be a problem though? :confused:

Just don't do what I did & catch said wire with the hole saw & rip it in half !
(lucky I had just enough left to pull out & re connect)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back