Replastering damp basement walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small basement room (8'by6') that I want to convert into a utility room.After stripping some old panelling away I have had to knock quite a bit of old plaster off (about a third from the floor up) that exposes bare brickwork; there is a slight damp smell now. The bricks appeared to have had some black sealant applied to them in the past, presumably against damp. The rest of the plaster looks sound. What do I done now? Do I rip the rest of the plaster off? What type of damp proof sealant is best to reapply and what type of plaster is best for these walls? I could replaster myself as I am not that bothered about the walls being perfectly smooth or maybe I just get a plasterer in and pay the money!! There is also some plumbing work to do; should I do this before or after any plastering??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back