repositioning a wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to reposition a wall light that is already wired in and working. The cable coming out of the wall is in the wrong position. Unfortunately there is not enought cable to connect to where I want to reposition the light. I don't want to have to dig out the cable as I have just had the room replastered. Is it safe to connect another piece of cable? What type of connect can I use? Do I need to recess the cable extension into the wall?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Remove the light and connect into a 20A junction box, which can be fixed to the wall. From here, connect a new cable and run to light in mini trunking, connect up and fit new light. This would not look too good but would not damage the new plasterwork. I would not do it like this personally but it is a solution given the parameters you have decided on.

Assuming the light needs to only be moved horizontally, and not diagonally, you could use choc-block in a flush box, behind a blanking plate, with the new cable chased in the wall to the new position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back