request from chris r

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking for a manual for a vaillant vcw sine t3w on google and got took to a post from you from last may. Could you email me that 12 meg pdf file please to *****************
Thanks
Been to one today and had no idea what the fault was (flame was going high then low randomly) and i didn't have a clue what the vaillant tech guy was talking about? he was asking me has it got so and so on it, and i kept saying no, so he would say oh it must be an earlier model? All i wanted to know was where the adjusting screws for the gas valve where so i could re-set it or at least test it. i couldn't find a burner test point either. its ancient. i just put on my worksheet to get it replaced but i will probably have to go back to it and the tennant hasn't got a manual and neither have i as i am fairly new to all this.

lynda, moderator

please see forum rule 7

Sponsored Links
I dont think that you should be going to one if you dont know anything about them.

If its step modulating then its operating correctly! Many dont any more!

The burner test point is inconveniently located INSIDE the combustion chamber cover!

They may be old but replacement is not good advice!

Tony

PS why not just email Chris? My AOL only takes 10 Mb so he had to split the file in two.

Agile said:
I dont think that you should be going to one if you dont know anything about them.

Sometimes you just gotta knuckle down and get on with it, specially if ur boss tells you to. Although perhaps phoning another of his colleagues for advice mite be an idea !

Agile said:

Im guessing its a housing assoc./council property so it will probably end up in the bin if no one can fix it.

Sponsored Links
Tony.....myself and many others would love to have the vast wealth of knowledge that you appear to have at your disposal but we are not all that lucky. How did you gain that knowledge? Did you just wake up one morning and it was there or did you pay a visit to the mountain where an elderly bearded gentleman handed you a sacred tome in which all things boiler related were inscribed. I have no problem going to a boiler that I know nothing about. I may actually solve the problem and learn something, or I don't solve it and walk away unpaid. I'll then research the problem via internet forums so that if I come across something similar again, I'm better prepared. While I accept that you are indeed a knowledgeable person in your field, sometimes you treat people seeking assistance, as chancers and cowboys. This isn't always the case. Some people are just trying to make living, but need a little help.

Trance Nation said:
Agile said:

Sometimes you just gotta knuckle down and get on with it, specially if ur boss tells you to. Although perhaps phoning another of his colleagues for advice mite be an idea !

Agile said:

Im guessing its a housing assoc./council property so it will probably end up in the bin if no one can fix it.

some of us know how

and when you have finished talking out of your arse :rolleyes:

its like solo said, i've been doing the job for only 4 years now but i have never seen owt like this boiler and i was just trying to get a manual so i can at least know what the parts are in there? Theres a black plastic thing in front of the gas valve which i think is a solenoid but its not like any other solenoid i've seen before. when i tap it with the back of my screwdriver the boiler goes up to high flame and then slowly comes back down to nothing in about 30 secs. i'm guessing (if it is the solenoid) that this is the faulty item. if i had the manual i could nip down to uk gas in brighouse and get the part. They may have something on their computer that will tell me what the part is i guess but i would just like the manual if anyone has it for my ever increasing library.

Jezzy said:
its like solo said, i've been doing the job for only 4 years now but i have never seen owt like this boiler

Well, I have only been working on boilers, somewhat part time too, for 9 years but I must have been to about 40-50 of the old Vaillants.

I do have to say that when I started no one could tell me how they worked so I had to figure them out for myself. Thats how I learn about all boilers although I did go to an Ideal Response course when they first came out because they were a "bit different" !

The "black box" in front of the gas valve is the system flow interlock. If the pump is working correctly the pin at the back moves to allow the gas to be turned on.

Tony

solo said:
While I accept that you are indeed a knowledgeable person in your field, sometimes you treat people seeking assistance, as chancers and cowboys. This isn't always the case. Some people are just trying to make living, but need a little help.

I said that he should not be going to boilers if he is not familiar with them.

As he is employed then his firm should not send him to models he has little chance of fixing. Its not good for customers, makes him look stupid and wastes the firms time. They should have a senior engineer to train him or some other way to deal with the problem, its not fair on him or the customer!

If he was self employed then he should not waste his own time going to boilers he is unlikely to be able to fix as thats not cost effective unless he considers it a training exercise. Again its not fair on the customer. Of course if he said he was not familiar with the boiler but would come free to look it just in case there theres nothing wrong with that.

One of the problems with all the manufacturers is that they do not give training on their older models except sometimes to their own staff engineers. You might immagine they dont want people to be able to fix them !!!

Tony

Agile said:
As he is employed then his firm should not send him to models he has little chance of fixing.
Why not? What right do you have to say what they should or should not do, as long as they're acting within the law?

If he was self employed then he should not waste his own time going to boilers he is unlikely to be able to fix as thats not cost effective unless he considers it a training exercise.
Why not? What right do you have to say what he or should not do, as long as he's acting within the law?

Again its not fair on the customer.
Why not? Are you privy to what has been agreed with this customer?

Of course if he said he was not familiar with the boiler but would come free to look it just in case there theres nothing wrong with that.
Well as long as you say so. :rolleyes:

I do have to say that when I started no one could tell me how they worked so I had to figure them out for myself. Thats how I learn about all boilers although I did go to an Ideal Response course when they first came out because they were a "bit different" !

youve kind of contradicted yourself in the post after this :rolleyes:

as softus said if he's acting within the law then why not, he needs to learn if we all knew everything about everything it would get dull, as somones tag says, "were all still learning"

I assume that you mean that I explained how I learn about boilers and then suggested the he should get some training.

I dont see any contradiction. I was a senior electronics enginneer with the BBC for quite a while until they privatised us and come from an engineering background and so its easy for me to asimilate boilers. Others are not so lucky and will benefit from training.

Tony

yes its like someone said, agile i think, if i can't fix it they will get someone in who can so it is a bit of a training exercise for me, but as none of the customers seem to have their manuals it can sometimes be a bit difficult. i came across an ideal response last week and had also never seen one of those before. Again no manual, and i would like one of those also if someone has one please?

Well done jezzy, keep it up. With the Ideal response though I would recommend not going to these other than a basic service. Total pain in the a***. I always now say no to these even after taking the Ideal training course. I always recommend customer to call out Ideal to sort their own mess out :rolleyes:

ideal are always 'doing it' in my opinion.
The 'classic' is no such thing - why put those 2 screws so far back like that? its just wrong! The design engineer should have been given a slap, and then told to service it, and then sent back to the drawing board to put it right. Same with the elan and those horrible glass fronts? why? There still not getting it right also in my opinion. The isar and icos have faults. They've had real problems with PCBs in those 2. What about the main windsor elite fire also? i could go on but its getting into a rant now and i only wanted a manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back