Resiting Potterton rs40 Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would apprieciate any help/comments on my anticipated moving the boiler from the kitchen to the loft in my bungalow.
Is a fully pumped system with indirect hot water. - 25 years old but all 'working' parts in stock at the gas spares dealer.
The potterton manual says a miminum 3ft head must be maintanted between the boiler and the header tank. This leave me little room to play with. The original installer plans (not pottertons) show that the vent pipe must be at/go to, at least 18" above the water level of the header tank.
Can anyone tell me how critical this vent pipe height is? Can this height be reduced at all?
Also if I am near the boiler/header tank 3ft head height limit - what are the actual problem/s that could be encountered and can they be overcome by some simple means other than increasing the head ( would have to put the tank on top of the roof! )

Finally, can anyone suggest how to encourage plumbers to do the job!.
most do not want to touch such a job, saying corgi would not allow it - although corgi helpline clearly said moving a boiler like the was OK.
I've checked the boiler - all mounting bolts, panels, covers, flue parts are free so it should be an easy job -but the few that have shown interest have quoted £700 in labour - bit steep in my book for a days work - or am I just old fashioned!

thanks

Richard
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Yes you are old fashioned!
Moving a boiler is more time consuming than fitting a new one & quite frankly is a pain in the butt, I personally will not quote for a boiler move.
As for the height limits, with them clearances I would add a pressure vessel & make it a sealed system.

CORGI are only concerned with gas safety.

Its questionable that you can do that under the building regulations as new boilers are required to be condensing now.

Your boiler is quite inefficient by current standards. Why waste money moving an old inefficient boiler when you can pay the same to have a condensing boiler and save about 20% on gas costs and meet building regs and have installers happy to quote.

In spite of what Keego suggests it may not be possibly to fit your existing boiler to a sealed system if the manufacturers do not permit it.

£700 sounds reasonable to me for decomissioning and reinstalling, particularly if it includes properly making good the brickwork around the old flue terminal.

Tony

Sponsored Links
keep the old boiler it will out live most modern condensors,you should be worried about the weight of the boiler in your loft,lofts are not designed to take weight just to spread the load you may need to speak to a structual enginner first....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back