Restoring fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to restore an open fireplace in a 1940's brick/block semi.

The constructional hearth and back hearth are still in place. There is a liner in the chimney, but it is for an old gas fire/back boiler.

My intention is to have a simple fireplace with a firebasket on the back hearth. I'm going to remove the liner, replace flue cap with a chimney pot and install a decorative hearth made of slate. I will obviously have the chimney smoke tested and looked at before using the fire.

My question is this. . . the inside of the fireplace is brick and I want to render over it to protect the bricks and to make it look better.

Can anyone tell me what I should use to render it? Can I buy something specifically for it or do I need to make a mix and if so what ratios?

Thanks in advance!!

Maceman

Sponsored Links
you would be better off re- lining the fire apeture with a quality clay brick. i've a feeling prolonged exposure to intense heat aint gonna do a coat of render any good.

I’m sure you can get some form of heat resisting cement from which to make a suitable render but it will look a bit naf. I would go along with a quality clay brick, it will look much better & should be OK as long as you’re using a fire basket & this keeps the burning coal/embers from direct contact with the bricks.

i'm fairly sure that if you go for an engineering fired solid brick, it should take a lot of heat. even direct. after all they are fired at quite high temperatures.

Sponsored Links
Hello, thought I'd re-use this similar topic to ask for help with my iron cast fireplace.

It's an art deco fireplace that needs stripping and re-painting.
I wanted to go for a grey/silvery colour (atm it's white), and it's only going to be decorative and won't be properly used.
I'm finding it hard to find a matt silvery paint, and the only silver one I've found is this: http://www.fireplaceproducts.co.uk/...ight-silver-heat-resistant-paint-400ml-spray/

Has anyone ever tried it?
Can anybody recommend a different brand otherwise? I know it's not a common colour for a fireplace, but I think it'll look brilliant on this art deco fireplace.

Also please note this is my first DIY project, so I know nothing on the subject!!!

Thanks!
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back