REWIRING A FRENCH LAMP WITH ENGLISH PLUG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this possible? and if so how do i do it make sure that the live neutral and earth are all in the correct places?

Sponsored Links
It won't have polarity. Therefore, I'd say just connect one wire to the live and the other to neutral on the UK plug

There's a potential issue though. The live connection in the bulb holder needs to be sheilded I think so polarity may apply but it may meet EU standards if it's not an ancient thing.

Alternatively, if you can, just remove the bulb holder and flex and replace it with a new bulbholder and flex.

Ooooooh! With a twisty black cord? Is it a screw in bulb?

Might be worth using some sort to tester to make sure you connect the cable to live that connects to the INSIDE of the lamp holder (i.e. the bit that contacts the bottom of the bulb rather than the bit that connects to the threaded part od the holder).

Sorry if that soesn't make sense.

Is it not possible to replace the bulb holder and flex and just keep the base and shade as original?

Sponsored Links
It is a jielde french lamp, which has 4 articulated arms, at each joint the electricity is carried through via metal and insulators which means the lamps can move at 180 degrees at each joint, i think re wiring that bit would be fine its just i am unsure at the top.

As an easy alternative what is to stop me using a french travel adaptor for the lamp??

Cheers for all the help

If it is Class I, then it will require earthing. Is the existing cable in good condition? Can you eyeball the conductors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back