Rewiring Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a three bedroom Victorian house in Newport Gwent which needs totally re-wiring. Being female a great cook but totally useless at most DIY i worry about being ripped off! So before i start ringing round all the local electricians how much would a job like that cost?? Many Thanks

Jax

Sponsored Links
jacquelineQ said:
I have just purchased a three bedroom Victorian house in Newport Gwent which needs totally re-wiring. Being female a great cook but totally useless at most DIY i worry about being ripped off! So before i start ringing round all the local electricians how much would a job like that cost?? Many Thanks

Jax

People phone the office and ask this question all the time, and it is always a difficult one to answer. You need to see the property, talk through your requirements and then create a quote from that information.

Some 3 bed properties are relatively simple to rewire, some a downright pain in the neck and take longer than you may imagine, it all depends on the construction of the premises and the amount of contents within it.

However, as a ball park figure, expect to pay somewhere between £1500 and £2200 for an average property. I would expect the figure to end up about £1900 INCLUDING VAT. This will include all materials for making good any walls chased out, but not redecoration.

I would suggest that you get at least 5 quotes from various registered companies. Ensure they are VAT registered.

I would suggest that you and your husband/partner (If there is one) sit down and make a plan of what you want, I always urge our clients to do this. Take each room as an individual, and note how many sockets you want in it, what sort of light you want, and try to determine where you want the sockets in that room. A little freehand sketch would be very helpful to both you and the contractors. Make copies of your sketches and notes and hand them to all those quoting for the work.

The more information they have, the more accurate your quotes will be.

One important thing to remember is that cheap is not always better, and nor is expensive.

As a company, it is our policy to only use certain Electrical Accessory manufacturers products, this ensures safety, appearance and longevity with no nasty surprises.

For sockets and light switches we always quote MK, and we also use MK for domestic Consumer Units unless our clients specifies something different, normally Hager or Crabtree.

Cieling roses we use Ashley-Rock or MK.

These are things to consider.

The type of lighting you want in the Kitchen is another factor that will effect the overall price, will it be a batten lampholder?, a fluorescent fitting or downlighters?

When you look for companies to quote for the work, don't be fooled into thinking that if they are not a member of the NICEIC that they will be no good. Whilst, for household insurance purposes, you will need an NICEIC completion certificate, the contractor doing the work does not have to be a member of the NICEIC, just have their work checked by one.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask here.
Please note: I would not prepare a quote for your house as you are outside our area of operations...we are in North London and snowed under with work! However I will offer any advise you want.

My word Jim, it must have taken you ages to write your essay. Thank You very much, i think you have answered all my questions and more. It gives me a good guide of cost. I shall start ringing round for quotes.

Jacquie :D

Glad to be of help.

Didn't take that long, I type reports etc most days so manage about 60 to 70 words a minute!!

I type faster than my secretary! (But she is sexier and nicer to look at!)

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Jim

Why ensure they are VAT registered?

Simon

If they are not VAT registered then they may be less than reputable.

I appreciate that some Guys out there are very honest, reputable and as far from cowboys as you can get, and they may not be VAT registered, however if their business is not turning over £48K a year then one must question how good they truly are?

The other reason is this..and this is the primary reason.

A VAT registered company is a truly established entity, it has insurance, can offer guarantees and is traceable if it all ends in tears.

Even self-employed tradesmen must, by law, have public liability insurance. Ensuring they are a VAT registered company just gives that extra bit of confidence.

However, if any of you guys are simply self-employed electricians doing jobbing work and the odd rewire, please do not take my comments to be suggesting you are not competent, but when dealing with the largest investment a normal person will ever make(the purchase of a home), it is wise to take all necessary precautions when inviting tradesmen of any type into your home to undertake work.

What about the self-employed that hold a 714 tax certificate, or as they call 'em now, a CIS4/5/6 registration certificate.

Millennium_Boy said:
What about the self-employed that hold a 714 tax certificate, or as they call 'em now, a CIS4/5/6 registration certificate.

Blooming eck, haven't heard them referred to as 714's for many years, your showing your age there :)

With a company you can get redress easier than with an individual should it end in tears.

I understand that there are some very good electricians out there doing jobbing work and occasional rewires that are simply happy being self-employed as they may percieve registering as a company as too mmuch hassle, and I would not want to insult them in any way, however to totally rewire your home is a big step and something that must last many many years.

The life of you and your family is dependant on the work being done in a manner that is safe and compliant with the regulations and has support backing it up if anything goes wrong, individuals may not meet these requirements.

Ahem. I have a 714 (or whatever it is in new money), I am self -employed, I do have PLI, and I am not VAT registered......

Bet you don't like me, now, FWL!!

securespark said:
Bet you don't like me, now, FWL!!

Where do you get that idea?

If you read my posts you will see that I try not to tar everyone with the same brush.

As I stated, there are very good sparks out there working in the way you do, unfortunately they do not get the recognition they deserve and are constantly overshadowed by the cowboys and con artists.

It is also a sad fact that more people are ripped off by lone sparks than are not..the industry needs to help to change this as there IS room for all, with the exception of the cowboys and crooks!

Agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying.

Was only kidding anyhow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back