rewiring extension power cable -> female IEC & Schuko

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a UPS, but the male socket in it only has 2 IEC plug (like a normal computer power cable). so i can only plug my monitor n my desktop. both of them are using extension power cable (male to female IEC jack). i'm planning to use my UPS with ADSL modem + speaker + monitor + computer + printer. so, i have to rewiring a computer's power cable extension (male to female plug). i cut the cable (the male side), n found 3 cable (blue + black + white stripping black).

my question: how do i manage to know which one is the live, neutral, n earth? i assumed the earth is blue, live is white, n neutral is black. but i'm not sure.
i don't wanna blow something in my room.
i tested wit a electrical test-pen, n the blue's light's lighter than live. n the neutral didn't light at all.
pls help me here.. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

FYI: i assumed there's nothing to do with voltage regulation's country (as i live in indonesia) or something, coz my normal computer's power cable is a moulded right angled Schuko plug to female IEC plug (if i don't use the UPS). so i'm sure it's just about the rewiring technics..

bibia
indonesia

p.s. sorry for my bad english

Sponsored Links
blue black and white seems a very odd combination.

You need to get a multimeter set on continuity and test it. Earth is the middle pin on the IEC, not sure which way arround the other two are meant to be but it doesn't really matter that much (schuko plugs and sockets can be plugged in with live and neutral either way arround anyway)

hi..
thx for ur support..
but i already solved it..
it's kinda risky..
i don't havw a multitester..
so, i tested the wire, wether it's right or not by plug in my cell phone charger (with my cell phone, of course!)
n i found, that the earth's white stripping black
i dunno which one is live or neutral..
but, in indonesia, i think it doesn't really matters..
in fact, it's okay if i don't wire the earth, coz in my city the electricity's socket doesn't have earth.
but though, i wired it anyway..

n now, my UPS' on with a 14" TV + ADSL modem + computer + monitor + desktop speaker + printer + 2 fans (one for my monitor)
i wired all of them (except the computer) with a (i dunno the exact english word for it) parallel connector adapter. i mean, the one that can support more than one equipment, connect as one with the electricity.

sorry for my bad english, kay..
cu all
nice forum here!

Sponsored Links
Back