Reworked Boiler PCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two year old Ideal Icos condensing boiler.

A couple of weeks ago it would not light so called out the local plumber who installed the system. He tracked the fault down to the PCB but would take it no further as he was not prepared to shell out for a new one (£200+ I think) in case it turned out not to be the faulty part (fair enough). A call to Ideal got an engineer out next day (£170 call out including all parts, except heat exchanger). Five minutes later new PCB fitted and all working fine.

However, the engineer said that the PCB had already been "reworked" (he could tell from the labelling on it). So the PCB in my new boiler was second hand. Engineer also said that the faulty PCB was an old version and that they were always replacing them.

My question is should I query why my new boiler had second hand (reworked) parts in it? Seems a bit steep to be charged £170 for the replacement of a second hand part that is known to often fail.

Thanks in advance (sorry for the long post).

Sponsored Links
Reworked could mean in the Ideal production line - so not necessarily second hand, it just failed in testing so something was redone.

The earlier Icos/Isar family boards had the transfomrer on them, which they removed for the later boards because that's where the trouble was. Afaik you can't therefore fit a late board into an early boiler.

Try posting the same query on the plumbingpages.com forum - there's an Ideal engineer who lurks there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back