Rip-off? You betcha!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will try to avoid turning this into a rant, but I was aiming to do some electrics today. This involved cutting into my ring (sounds painful :LOL: ) and installing an FCU for a new heated towel rail, and also moving the switch for my immersion heater. On inspection, the immersion heater radial is wired in 4.0mm (despite it being a 2.87kW heater!).

So, off I toddled down to Wickes to buy the bits. Picked up a couple of JBs (£1.15 each) and then went to find the 4mm T&E. Could I find it? No. Wickes sells every size of T&E except for 4mm! Seriously, it wasn't that they were out, it is that they never sell it! 25mm singles, yes. 16.0mm T&E? Yes. So, I put my JBs back thinking I wouldn't buy them out of principle.

Next stop, the local builders' merchants. Now, it has been my experience that builders' merchants are great value for things that you build with (timber, plasterboard, cement) but plumbing parts are a bit pricey. No matter, I was desparate.

So, how much do you reckon 4mm T&E was there? £2 a metre! :LOL: Seriously! I was about to take 5m when I noticed the price and thought "sucks to this!". Of course when I got home to check the Yellow pages, all the wholesalers are closed now! Oh, and the JBs were nearly £2 each too. :mad:

Now, checking this against an arbitrary electrical wholesaler website I find that the £14 of goods I was to buy at the merchants would cost me £5.30 online. A mere 38% of the cost! Even with delivery it is cheaper to get a few little odds and sods online. Bah.

Sponsored Links
No, it took a good sturdy Rioja to sort that lot out. :LOL:

That gives me an idea... whatabout a TV programme called "Drinking on the job", or "A few jars at lunch"... they get on 4 or 5 tradesmen/DIYers, get them absolutely hammered, then they have to do a job.

So, after a bottle or two of wine you are given the brief, then you have to e.g. install a shower circuit, fit a combi boiler or do some joinery.

However, here comes the clever bit... They then compare your work with the work of a "Tradesmen from hell" (you know the programme) with scoring for quality of work, time taken, and amount of learing and letching at the actress who is pretending to be the housewife for the "Tradesman from hell". 10 bonus points if you barf. :D

Sponsored Links
Never done a Technicolour Pizza in a customer's house. Diahorrea, yes.....

BTW

Bloke staggers out of pub and barfs all over stray dog outside. "Chr*st," he says, "I don't remember eating that!!"

Back