Rising butt hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my hardwood front door. The present door frame has been fitted in such a way that the underlay has been removed around the door area to allow the door to clear the carpet. When I fit the new door I was thinking of using rising butt hinges to allow me to fit a thicker carpet. Are these any good and how much do they lift the door when opening. Another option would be to raise the weather bar by an inch or so by screwing a piece of wood to the bottom of the frame and refitting the weather bar back on top so that the new door clears the carpet. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Needed it to rise by about 10mm as it is opening. Thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
raising the weather bar is not an option for several reasons
the weather bar goes into the leg of the frame
weather bar is only about 1" deep
i dont think you can buy it any bugger
it would look realy silly with an inch and a half gap under the door
rising butts arnt as strong as exterior hinges so may not be acceptable to your insurance company!!!

could you not start afresh cut out the frame and raise it an inch
keeping in mind it will be a potential trip hazzard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back