RJ45, phono and plug sockets together.... good idea???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of putting an RJ45 internet wallplate, two double plug sockets, and a phono outlet all next to each other in my room so that my computer is all wired up.

This is exactly how I want it to be:

sockets3dr8fv.jpg

I'm gonna keep the cables separate.
ie, the mains cables for the plug sockets come from the bottom.... and the CAT 6 networking and audio cables will come from the top (as shown in the pic).

This is because I heard that you shouldn't run mains cable and networking/audio cable together.

But is it ok to have the wallplates and plug sockets next to each other?

Would it affect the quality of the internet and audio?

Sponsored Links
I would'nt worry about it. After all, your cat5/6 networking cables are designed in a twisted pair fashion deliberately to help keep out interference from other sources (and wires in the same cable). And as long as the audio cables you use are screened then they should be fine.

If you look at IT computer rooms etc, you see they use a kind of MEGA TRUNKING that comprises channels of cat5 / 2.5 T&E etc, and in a lot of cases, I see the cat5 sockets right next to (sometimes directly above!) the power sockets and if it did'nt work - they wouldnt have them wired like that!!

If you look at the thickness of the surface patresses, you'd be doing well to penetrate that with interference.

If the cables being run are run in seperate trunking, again this will help keep the intereference away.

If you are that worried, keep the mains sockets together on, say the left hand side, then leave a small gap in the centre of, say 3 inches, then put the cat5 and the audio ones together, so that they are on the right hand side.

You could always lash it up (ie clip wiring up) , test it quickly so you are happy, then fix it all up (ie trunking etc) properly. Just make sure your wiring runs are either vertical or horizontal to sockets, if it is possible to do that.

Thanks guys.

You gotta admit... its a good setup ain't it? :D

I'm gonna have a TV/Satellite wallplate too.... but thats gonna be on the other side of the room.

What else can I have? I think I'll be pretty much fully wired up don't you think???

Are there any other outlets/wallplates that you can think of? :?:

Sponsored Links
Telephone socket for your phone or computer modem (ie for faxing!) ??? Shaver socket (when your glued to the pc, and need a shave and dont wanna get off you seat!!) , A phono outlet for video signals (so you can send the video over to your tv over the other side of the room , in case you want to watch a divx/ dvd on your bedroom tv instead of your computer screen !!!

^ Hm..... genius!

I'll consider them all.

Keep em coming!

btw the wall is a plasterboarded stud wall and I've already fed a string through it so its gonna be very easy to fish the wires. Theres gonna be very little mess involved in doing the job.

s999 said:
Thanks guys.

You gotta admit... its a good setup ain't it? :D
The cable going to the sockets worries me - looks like a spur with 2 sockets on it.

If it isn't a branch from a radial circuit, or supplied via an FCU, it's not right....

I'm gonna have a TV/Satellite wallplate too.... but thats gonna be on the other side of the room.

What else can I have? I think I'll be pretty much fully wired up don't you think???
More sockets.

Lots more sockets.

It's quite staggering how quickly they get used up by IT equipment.

Are there any other outlets/wallplates that you can think of? :?:
DB-25
DB-9
Balun
10base2 BNC
75 ohm coax
XLR
IEC-309
IEC-320 C13
IEC-320 C19
Schuko
BS 196
BS 546
2.5mm jack
3.5mm jack
6.5mm (¼") jack
4mm banana
SCART
LC, SC, FC & ST fibre optic
RJ-11
RJ-8
BT431A
USB-A
USB-B
IEEE-488
IEEE-1394

More might come to me....

ban-all-sheds said:
The cable going to the sockets worries me - looks like a spur with 2 sockets on it.

If it isn't a branch from a radial circuit, or supplied via an FCU, it's not right....
^ The plugs are wired properly (ring circuit). I just didn't draw it right. My bad.

I've corrected it now.

And thats a lot of wallplates you suggested. I'm gonna have to research some of those. :confused:

At my computer I currently have 8 (eight!) twin sockets. Seemed a bit over kill at the time of fitting them but I soon used them all up. Might be worth considering more than two twins. It is suprisingly easy to use them all. (Dont worry FCU feeds them before anyone pulls me up!)
Rob

Black Box
RS

On a more serious note, re the power sockets, some multi-way trailing sockets come with brackets for wall-fixing, or keyholes on the back - with the plugs cut off and wired into FCUs these can be a useful way to get lots of sockets up quickly....

jondiy said:
Shaver socket (when your glued to the pc, and need a shave and dont wanna get off you seat!!)
4 inch Soil pipe in the floor, ready to recieve a toilet pan - for when he's feeling extra lazy . . . . :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back