Rock dust - fab for garden, could stop global warming

Sponsored Links
Yeah it does.

Resigned from my job yesterday so got four weeks gardening leave before the new one starts :D :D :D :D

Might see if I can get some of the dust and, you know, have a trial, grow large onions and save the planet.

Let us know how you get on, never used it myself, but would be interested in the results.

:D

Sponsored Links
cant really see how they can claim it as that much of a breakthrough, havnt they been farming in volcanic rock dust for thousands of years eg on the sides of vesuvious? (still a bit safer though!)

The only reason I can see of rock dust helping is that it aerates the soil giving bacteria a better environment in which to thrive.
Soil is a mixture of rock dust from erosion and decomposed animal and vegetable matter.
Volcanic ash contains a great deal of minerals so therefore improves fertility.
10 years ago I dug out all the clay soil in my flower beds and mixed it with equal parts of sharp sand (stone dust) and peat and compost.
I made a large sieve framed around a wheelbarrow and passed the mixture through this before returning it to the flower beds.
This has become a beautiful loam soil which gets top dressed with garden compost each year.

Dewy said:
The only reason I can see of rock dust helping is that it aerates the soil giving bacteria a better environment in which to thrive.
Soil is a mixture of rock dust from erosion and decomposed animal and vegetable matter.
Volcanic ash contains a great deal of minerals so therefore improves fertility.
10 years ago I dug out all the clay soil in my flower beds and mixed it with equal parts of sharp sand (stone dust) and peat and compost.
I made a large sieve framed around a wheelbarrow and passed the mixture through this before returning it to the flower beds.
This has become a beautiful loam soil which gets top dressed with garden compost each year.
Wish I'd done that Dewy, I've always (here two years) dug out a bigger/deeper hole than required, got rid of the solid clay bits, mixed the remainder with soil improver (by bucket !), sharp sand and a bit of pea grit. Wished I'd done the whole borders now as when you get a new plant it's bloody awkward in our (deliberate) jungle of a garden :(

Perhaps one for us budding ('cuse pun) gardeners to try and report back on, I must admit the article strays rather into the pseudo science bit, but hey, don't knock it if you aint tried it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back