Rock hard filler can't be sanded!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! Have filled several holes and cracks in my bathroom wall (fairly badly, I admit), but assumed I could just sand the edges flat after. However, the filler has set so hard, that when I try to sand, it simply removes the surrounding plaster, and the filler isn't budging!
Does anybody know of anything I can do - what is the best thing to use to sand, etc?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo notgumps007 and welcome :LOL: :LOL:

eeeehhhh whats the filler you used!!!!

filler is normaly of simmilar density to the plaster

is your plaster crumbly or indeed not plaster as in old house that uses lime render!!!!!

dont ask me how to tell them apart as ive never used lime render ;) ;)

Bet it was ready mixed. Chisel it all out, mix up some polyfilla Interior filler and use that instead. Sands really easily.

gcol said:
Bet it was ready mixed. Chisel it all out, mix up some polyfilla Interior filler and use that instead. Sands really easily.

never used ready mix my self ;)
is it harder then!!!

i just thought they may have used car filler :D

Sponsored Links
Ready mixed is hard, I learnt the hard way as well...excuss the pun

The plaster was new (not lime render)
Yes, it was ready mix - I won't be doing that again!
No, it was not car filler, although in desperation I did try sanding with wet and dry to see if that would work!
Any more help appreciated!

Chop it all out, start again. Quicker and easier in the long run.

big-all said:
gcol said:

never used ready mix my self ;)
is it harder then!!!

i just thought they may have used car filler :D

Yep i'll put me money on that too!..evil stuff..

Im in a giving mood tonight...so heres a Zampa tip...most ready mixed filler is for fine surface use..dont bother with it...get some ordinary oil based undercoat and mix filler with that..its great for fine grain filling and isnt to hard to sand either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back