Ronseal clear silk varnish - what a disaster!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing all the doors in the house and have clear varnished the first four with Dulux clear silk, which after 3 coats (rubbed down between) gives a nice even smooth silky matt finish. Yesterday on the 5th door I used Ronseal clear silk for the final coat - what a mess! Despite taking enormous care to apply it evenly I'm left with a semi-gloss, which shows every brush mark and patches of unevenness. I'm really disappointed in the finish. I'm going to have to sand it right back and apply a fourth coat of Dulux to try to get back that even sheen that I had on coats 1 and 2.

Anybody else noticed this difference between Dulux and Ronseal?

Sponsored Links
In all probability, if you had applied 3 coats of ronseal first, they would have been fine, with a top coat of dulux then looking poor.

Why did you change paints...???... :confused:...... Different paints can react with each other.

I changed because I ran out of the Dulux and could only find Ronseal in the shops.

Now I am searching for Dulux and can't find it anywhere. I notice that the can has "trade" on the label - does this mean I might be able to get some from a Dulux Decorator centre?

The bloke at B&Q told me they have fallen out with Dulux and only stock the minimum they can manage. Why is this, I wonder?

Sponsored Links
Thought you might be interested to know that after a lot of enquiring I realised that I had bought the original Dulux Trade satin varnish at a Dulux decorator centre. So I went and bought another can and the bloke there confirmed to me that the Dulux trade range is of a far superior quality to any "Joe Public" retail product. Certainly the effect with a coat of this is perfect; a nice satin sheen, even and smooth, showing no defects. It looks like a professional job in a hotel or office.

So is he right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back