Roof Construction Description

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Could anyone explain to me what tiliting is when used in the description of a flay roof:-

175x50mm joists @ 400mm ctrs. 120mm Cellotex between joists. 50mm ventilation gap. Firrings to fall, with 75x75mm tiliting fillets.

I understand what everything else is, but am a bit perplexed at the tiliting bit - I am building the roof at the weekend and cannot ask the architect as he is on holiday.

Also, is it best to lay the firrings on the cross battens, with the battens fixed to the joists; or will it be better to fix the firrings to the joists then the battens across these?

Many thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Tilting fillet is a timber fillet fixed at eaves to raise the edge of the first row of slates then your roofing sloped under the tiles.
markf said:
Also, is it best to lay the firrings on the cross battens, with the battens fixed to the joists; or will it be better to fix the firrings to the joists then the battens across these?
I always put firrings on top of joists first.

firrings on first is my way too but others do it the other way round its just to allow for air circulation

If I read your post correctly , you are building a flat roof not a pitch roof ?
A tilt fillet is a triangular section of timber that is nailed onto the outer sides of a flat roof and then felted over and it is to direct the rain into the gutter and not let it drip down the sides of the building. It is also known as an Arris Rail as can be seen here.......

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/building_a_flat_roof.htm

Sponsored Links
Bit confusing: are you referring to a flat roof or a pitched/sloping roof?
You begin with flat roof construction and then refer to battens which belong to pitched roof construction.

The "Flat Roof - how to build" in DIY Doctor is inaccurate in much detail but it does illustrate the point in question, if indeed it is the point in question?

I think markf spelt flay instead of flat roof (the y & t is next to each other on the typewriter !)
tim00 said:
You begin with flat roof construction and then refer to battens which belong to pitched roof construction.
We put the firring on top of the joists then use 3"x1" batten on top of the firrings spaced out in the opposite direction so you get a cross-flow of air sideway from joist to joist under the plywood sheeting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back