Roof on a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start the second phase of my self build. The house is now finished and i am about to start on a 26' x 18' conservatory in a square p shape if that makes sense ?

One thing i want to do is rather than have a full plastic structure is to have catnics and brick pilers between the windows so it looks more like a structure rather than a conservatory.

I understand the bit about having to have a fully transparent roof in order that it is classed as a conservatory and not an extension but i was thinking later i may submit for planning and put a warm roof on it with veloux windows.

My question is, i have never built a conservatory before and i wondered how the roof bars usually fix to the structure and how any gap is sealed ?

I know what some of you are going to say " why don't you just get planning now and do it with the warm roof" well funds are getting low and i just want to get the structure up and a roof on for now.

Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Masona,

The windows will be Upvc and the roof i havent decided on as yet.

I have seen Polycarbonate sheets held like on conventional conservatories but i would prefare Double Glazed units so unsure what i would need.

I have seen the chanel fixings that you secure to wooden spars then place the units in to these and finaly press a long strip that secures it all in place but i want something that will last at least 5 years as it may take that long before i submit for further planning.

Getting tired of all this building now and need a rest :cry:

diyisfree said:
I have seen Polycarbonate sheets held like on conventional conservatories but i would prefare Double Glazed units so unsure what i would need.
I take it you mean glass roof? Would have to be toughen glass
I have seen the chanel fixings that you secure to wooden spars then place the units in to these and finaly press a long strip that secures it all in place but i want something that will last at least 5 years as it may take that long before i submit for further planning.
Don't know if you're anywhere near Mr Plastic although they will deliver, I use them most of the time, price not bad for the quality either and they have all the instruction details of how to do it
Getting tired of all this building now and need a rest :cry:
I know the feeling, I was 19 yrs when I bought my bungalow without a roof from the auction. It was hard work but it was worth it in the end, I've learnt to slow down now.

Sponsored Links
If you are looking at a depth (width) of 18' and a glass roof, you are in effect looking at a roof that is 5.4 meters out from the side of the property. The sheer weight of double glaxed toughened glass would mean that some support is required.

Some thing like ultra lite 500 would perhaps be a better solution?

(before i get shot down in flames - its just my opinion)

Masona,

Not sure if there is a Mr Plastic near me BUT there is a massive place called GAP its the same company as the famous Rock Door

220coupe,

I am thinking about the warmth of the conservatory. I know they aren't the best areas to try and heat thats why i was going down a glass roof rather than the plastic type.

I have seen the polycarbonate ones with a double and even triple air space? Would they give better insulation properties over glass ?

Take your point with regards the weight. I guess there would be a couple of hundred kilos to support on such a big structure.

Just wish i could put a real roof on it with a few veloux windows in there without the need to get BC involved.

I did find a site explaining how the roof meets the top of standard conservatories and it looked pretty straight forward. I would expect there will be something around that will fix directly to masonry so i could close the eaves and so on ?

Cheers guys.

diyisfree said:
Just wish i could put a real roof on it with a few veloux windows in there without the need to get BC involved.
You may not have to as it may only need building regs instead. Pop down to your BCO with a rough drawing and see what they say, they may even tell you to go ahead depending on the size of the conservatory

Masona,

When i submitted planning and building regs in July 2005 it also included an extension. I built an extension and also had the conservatory on the plans.

We decided to put the cons on the plans because we were building an extension. We altered the design of the cons once, and the regs guys said all was ok.

I have a feeling because we have submitted all these plans at the same time and because we stated the cons would be a cons that it may cause a problem.

To be honest, i love the idea of an almost full glass structure but with a warm roof. and i dont have a problem constructing that. I just want a structure that will be warm enough to use in the winter.

I may just call the bc guy and see what he has to say.

Cheers

diyisfree said:
I may just call the bc guy and see what he has to say.
That's the best way to go, then at least you know one way or other, I think they will tell you to go ahead with it & saving you more money

A pitch roof on a shed, garage or conservatory musn't be more than 4m high otherwise it's Planning permission

I lad,

Sounds like its the best way to go.

Its not as if i'm trying to build something they dont alreadyknow about. Plans were submitted. Only difference will be it will have a tiled roof instead of a glass/plastic one.

The PP on my 60’s property renovation included a new garage, 2 extensions, 4 new dormer windows (to replace awful flat roof windows) on the front elevation, another pitched roof conversion of a flat roof & a P conservatory (similar size to yours) out back. I subsequently made the conservatory a smaller square Edwardian unit, (25 sq/m) & I’m now glad I did! I changed the cons under a minor change, planning didn’t mind the change of shape but spotted the pitch roof (at 3.4m) was 300mm higher than the original design & said I must keep it within the same height as the approved plans, or I would have to re-submit! I questioned this as the cons was now below 30 sq/m & didn’t need PP but I was then told my permitted development rights had been withdrawn due to the amount of alterations I was making to the property; basically, anything I did in the future would require approval! I easily managed to change the roof line so there was no problem, just be careful what you do as they can get a bit picky if you change things without telling them; check as I’m sure changing to a tiled roof would bring you under resubmission & BC as the reduced glazed area may no longer be regarded as a cons!

If I was doing it again, I would go for a garden room with a proper tiled roof but it does start to get expensive as, apart from the cost of the roof, conventional conservatory wall construction is not sufficient to support the weight, especially on large spans. Using glass also gives similar weight problems &, be warned, it will make the place like an oven in the summer! A friend seriously regrets using glass & ended up spending over £3k on ceiling blinds just to make the place useable in the summer & it’s still bl**dy freezing out there in winter!

I realised heating a conservatory with a conventional roof in winter was always going to be difficult &, as this was our first experience, I did a fair bit of research, being careful to make it as heat efficient as possible. I specified Celotex floor insulation, full insulation in the 75mm cavity dwarf walls, Argon filled K glass (not a requirement on a cons), a 40mm, 5 wall opaque polycarbonate roof & under-floor electric heating; all this & it’s still turned out a bit of a disappointment. Although the heating system can easily maintain a comfortable temperature, it’s working out very expensive during the colder months & we’ve all but given up using ours during the winter. My next step is to fit an auxiliary wet radiator on the main house system, hopefully reducing the amount of electricity we use. The 5 wall, 40mm poly roof does make quiet a difference over the standard 25-30mm sections usually fitted (it’s also quieter in the rain) & I believe there are now companies making even thicker roof sections.

Richard,

Thanks for the input. I think i will have to re submit for BC because we have already built a an extension at the side.

My Architect said we would be better putting the cons on at the same time we submitted the plans for the extension so thats what we did.

I have also looked at many ways of keeping the cons usable in the winter, thats why i want a tilled warm roof. It doesn't bother me that we wont get lots of light flooding through a clear roof and i would much prefer a few veloux windows.

I have seen a bespoke cons like the one i wanted today whilst i was out driving. It looked pretty damb impressive BUT it had a polycarbonate roof.

My beloved wants a glass/plastic roof. Have you ever tried explaining to a woman why a traditional roof on a 90% glass structure would be better :confused: You may as well talk to her about wave-particle duality, because it goes in one ear and straight out the other.

I shall talk to that very nice man at BC tomorrow and see what he says.
I dont mind cutting the timbers for a traditional roof, i love the way it looks once all done

Just a quick update,

Spoke to planning today, They said Do what you like with roof, just draw a quick plan highlighting new roof :D I thought great

Spoke to BC regarding regs, :( Have to re submit for planning as it is no longer a cons if i put roof on it and it will then fall under the usual inspections ( footings, DPC, slab and so on) and building control regs.

Looks like its back to a conventional conservatory then. Plus he said he can not sign off the house build because we will still be under Regs because of the roof on the cons and that would have to be completed BEFORE he can sign anything...

diyisfree said:
Just a quick update,

Spoke to planning today, They said Do what you like with roof, just draw a quick plan highlighting new roof :D I thought great

Spoke to BC regarding regs, :( Have to re submit for planning as it is no longer a cons if i put roof on it and it will then fall under the usual inspections ( footings, DPC, slab and so on) and building control regs.

Looks like its back to a conventional conservatory then. Plus he said he can not sign off the house build because we will still be under Regs because of the roof on the cons and that would have to be completed BEFORE he can sign anything...

That’s what I thought might happen as far as BC were concerned; at least planning weren’t bothered about the shape or roof change whereas in my case, they were really picky over a 300mm change in roof height!

If it’s back to a conventional roof, I would seriously try & talk the other half away from a glass; not only is it bl**dy expensive, I think you may regret it, particularly if the cons faces South! Have a look at the super thick, opaque polly; apart from the still obvious heat loss, I think it’s a big step from the 25mm stuff that’s generally been used up to now; the fitters actually walked on it which surprised me!

Cheers Richard,

I know the glass roofs are very expensive :( thats why i was going to go down the tiled option. I bet i could put a tiled roof on for less than the glass one :eek: seriously.

I have been looking at polycarbonate type roofs now and one of these 50mm plus options looks the best way to go. I spoke to a mate of mine last night who has a conservatory about 3x3 and he said you can use it in winter if he puts ALL his electric heaters on for 30 mins before he wants to go in it.

I think i will put rads in there and connect upto the central heating system. I have a spanking new 105,000 btu combi that is currently only using about 60,000 btu's so i think it will easily be able to cope with a couple of rads in the cons.

Final question, would a 30mm triple cell (layer) type roof be better than one of these 50mm thick ones but only have 2 cells (layers) does that make sense ?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back