roof replaced, chimney wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had me roof re-felted and tiled about 11 months ago, the chimney breast runs down the middle of our house and hence through the middle of the loft. . When I was in the loft last night during heavy rain I noticed that one side of the chimney was wet and some water was running down the wooden eaves also.

We have only been in the house 14 months and I have only been into the loft 2/3 times. Should this leak have been resolved when the roofer replaced the felt/ tiles/ lead and repointed the chimney?

If I called him to explain the problem, should I have to pay him to fix the leak?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If he does expect you to pay for it, it might be worth asking around for a better roofer. But ask him to explain what has happened. If your roofer is a good guy, he will probably be embarrassed that there is a leak in his new roof, and be anxious to fix it.

I may be quite wrong, of course, but it is possible that he has not sealed the chimney to the roof properly (someone more expert should be along to explain the benefits of lead flashing and mortar fillets) so perhaps he did not do a very good job; in which case (if it was me) I would try to find someone better.

If you are able to find someone by personal recommendation ask them to take a look, explain the problem, and give you a price. If you know anyone in a building trade they will probably have experience and opinions on other local tradesmen and building firms.

I dare say someone will also want to criticise me for being too quick to cast blame; perhaps I am, but this is a possibility you should consider.

It's the roofers fault he should fix's it, at no expence to you, but if he did not give you a guarentee of so many years, well thats open to debate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back