Rotating bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't see this subject elsewhere. Apologies if it has already been covered.

I have fitted new hot and cold pillar taps to my bath connected by flexi's. I have tightened the back nut as far as I can but the taps still rotate in their respective holes.

Is there a special washer or something to prevent them rotating? I tried a couple of local merchants but the spotty herberts behind the counter looked at me like I was mental.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Steve,

It may be a case that you've torn the threads. But if you can feel it tightening then that's unlikely. Its probably just not 'nipping up' to the bath. Sometimes the tap 'tail' can extent through the tap hole and the thread runs out before the nut has a chance to tighten up. Try adding a Rubber Washer to the underside of the tap before it goes in to the tap hole.

One other thing... Have you fitted a 'Top Hat' to the underside of the tap tail?

First guess is add some more washers as Blasphemous suggested, or you could try a length of wood (say, 3" X 1" or thereabouts) bored to take the tap tails and trimmed to fit round the overflow etc, fitted over the tails with rubber washers on the bath side and clamped up to the bath with the tap fixing nuts. Probably best to avoid MDF, as a bit of damp could reduce it to porridge

That could also help if there's an issue with the rigidity of the bath around the taps, as the pipework won't help stabilise things if you're using flexis.

As for the herberts in the merchants... Has anyone else found that even if you can see what you want on the shelf behind them and point to it, or even pick it up and wave it in front of them, they still can't sell it to you because they have checked their computer system and it shows they are out of stock! :evil:

Sponsored Links
TicklyT said:
As for the herberts in the merchants... Has anyone else found that even if you can see what you want on the shelf behind them and point to it, or even pick it up and wave it in front of them, they still can't sell it to you because they have checked their computer system and it shows they are out of stock! :evil:

Yep! Little Britain character...

Computer says No!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back