1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Rough cost to fit new identical boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Albumen, 31 Mar 2018.

1. Albumen

Albumen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We've got a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831. General opinion seems to be they're OK. But nothing lasts forever. For planning purposes I'd like to get a rough idea how much it would cost to fit another one.

Given that the supply pipework, flue, condensate and overflow holes are all in place I'm assuming that it's a lot simpler than fitting a new boiler in a different site.

Just that occasionally Vaillant seem to do a 7 year guarrantee, which might be preferable to the various service deals we've had over the years.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. banjodeano

banjodeano

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    we have just had a Vaillant eco tec pro fitted, i think it is the 32 size, not sure if that 32l or 32kw, but its 32 something...anyway, we paid £1860 fitted with the inhibitor and magnaclean.
    i was told it would have been a couple of hundred quid cheaper if the flue went through the wall, but he said he had to buy stuff to take it through the roof, and the parts were more expensive.
    this is in Yorkshire, and the plumber new i was a tight Yorkshireman

4. Albumen

Albumen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Many thanks for that. We're in Yorkshire too. Apart from the flue, was there a lot of new pipework to run?

5. banjodeano

banjodeano

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    not really, it was all done in the airing cupboard, obviously he did have to change the pipework a little to match up with the new boiler....oh, we had a new wireless thermostat as well, which are about £100

6. Albumen

Albumen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. Hopefully your figure is toward the top end of what I'd have to pay then. Given that the thermostat is already in place, and assuming that the boiler dimensions are exactly the same, there shouldn't be any pipework to change at all.

7. banjodeano

banjodeano

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i very much doubt it will be a straight swap, like for like

8. Albumen

Albumen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm talking about replacing a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831 with a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831, but new. So exactly like for like. It's costing a bit in repairs new, so if we get one with the 7 year guarantee at least we've got 7 years without repair costs. I'm just trying to get an idea of how much precise like for like replacement is. Cheers.

9. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well, like for like or identical means you’ll replace one defective boiler with another... so you might as well leave the one that’s there on the wall! :LOL:

Sorry... been relaxing with a few beers and couldn’t resist that one... tiz what you get for being a tight-arsed Yorkshireman :whistle::sneaky:

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Albumen

Albumen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hilarious. Don't give up the day job.

12. lemon_1

lemon_1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    im not a plumber or a corgi, but i reckon about 3-4 hours work. assuming you dont need a flush.

so about £300 should cover it. + £45 per hour if it goes over for any unforeseen reason.

13. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Best keep shtum then eh?

Go on.... Give us a break down of the costs and profits on your business model. :D

• Like Like x 5
  14. lemon_1

lemon_1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    3 hours labour @ £100 per hour for the first 3 hours. Hire an independent installer who's a one man band. They dont have much overheads. £100 per hour is lawyer rates so should more than cover the cost of tool usage. everyone's a winner.

Of course if you hire someone from British gas all that goes out the window. they have marketing costs, office maintenance, administrators, lawyers, accounts, IT staff, cleaners, security that all want paying. so they would justifiably charge 3 grand for the same 3 hour job. therefore go for the one man band.

15. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you're going to the expense of a new boiler, flushing through the system, it would be silly not to.

16. lemon_1

lemon_1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if the systems already clean then no need for power flush, chemical flush would suffice IMO. For it to be clean it would have had to been regularly serviced and have a mag filter

17. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pahahahahahahahahahahahahahwhwhwhahajajajaanhah.

I'll work out my overheads when I get back from a bike ride with the dude.

But in the meantime .... Care to give us a rough annual figure for a one, or a one and a half man band?