rough idea of costs of extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a rough idea of how much an extension would cost to have put on my house, purely to get the structure and roof up so it's watertight, and NOT including footings (which i've been given a rough idea of as it's having to be pile driven etc) or any form of internal work, electrics, plumbing etc as I have family that can do that side!!!

Extension would be two storey, 4.5m x 4.5m with 3 windows and a patio door, concrete tiles, one wall already exists as part of the house!

Cheers for any guesstimates.

Welcome Delinquent, but as noseall says please read forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
as the roof will be a costly factor, more info' needed.

plain tiles or interlocking.

concrete or clay.

pitched roof or flat.

gable roof or hipped.

trusses or traditional cut roof.

oh i give up! too mutch information is required! oh and look at rule no. 9. ;) //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

LOL oops, hadn't clocked rule no. 9.

I wasn't looking for accurate, I suppose what I should have asked was, is it more likely to be nearer £30k or nearer £100k - the budget is reasonably flexible. Reason I asked rather than getting quotes is because I'm having extreme difficulty finding anyone that will bother turning up!!! 5 architects, 2 structural engineers and a few builders contacted... so far 1 (one of the structural engineers) has bothered to turn up. About par for the course in the UK nowadays though it seems!

A. Work out the area of your extension.
B. Call your buildings insurer and ask them what they use as the rebuilding cost per unit area (e.g. square foot) for your type of home in your area.
C. Multiply the number you got in A by the number you got in B.
D. Half that, since you want only the cost of the carcass.
E. Add 15% contingency.

For example, if Area = 436 ft², and cost = £70, then cost of extension = £30,516, then cost of carcass = £15,258, and your budget should be £17,547.

Delinquent said:
About par for the course in the UK nowadays though it seems!
Do you include yourself in that sweeping generalisation?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, I'll do that!

Delinquent said:
About par for the course in the UK nowadays though it seems!
Do you include yourself in that sweeping generalisation?[/quote]

no, but I believe it's reasonably fair as far as generalisations go. Last year on the renovation stage of this project I lost more than 25 days sat waiting for people to turn up to arranged appointments and countless more trying to contact people who I was trying to pay to do a job. I suppose the only upside is that I have found some reliable people in certain areas, and am more than happy to give them as much cash as they want whenever I need their services now!

Delinquent said:
no, but I believe it's reasonably fair as far as generalisations go.
Fair? It's just one person's point of view in one part of the UK!

Delinquent said:
5 architects, 2 structural engineers and a few builders contacted... so far 1 (one of the structural engineers) has bothered to turn up. About par for the course in the UK nowadays though it seems!

Its no wonder if you're as vague with them as you are on this forum.

Softus said:
Delinquent said:
no, but I believe it's reasonably fair as far as generalisations go.
Fair? It's just one person's point of view in one part of the UK!

well yes it is just one part of the UK, that is very true. Not just one persons opinion, though, I have had a lot of feedback from a lot of local developers who have all been saying exactly the same thing. (one of whom originally pointed me here suggesting I ask) and it's not just the building trade - engineering, manufacturing and services are getting the same rap. If someone can't make an appointment or work to a deadline, fine, it happens, but it costs very little cash to make a 2 second call explaining that.

That said I wasn't trying to cause any offence by the comment, and apologise for any caused,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back