Rounded off screw heads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

What is the best (only?) method of removing cross head screws that have a badly worn cross head? I want the buggers out!

Thanks for any help
Kingsley

Sponsored Links
helllooo kingsley
make shure you have the correct bit usually a pz2 98%of the time make shure its a good bit tap with a hammer into the screw head then try removal this should work more often than not as you usualy have part of the flat on the back edge when the front is is comletly chewed up
most chewed up screws are caused by the wrong driver bit being used you know its the correct bit when the screw will stay on the bit whilst you carry it

you can also try a flat bit this sometimes works as a flat bit of differing widths will fit at different points into the "v"

Sponsored Links
Dear Big-all

Is your keybord missing a key?? :eek:
Using the . once in a while would make your post more readable.
Although, some combinations would make fun reading ;)

yes i know i appologise punctuation is not my strong point :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.
i spend so much time correcting my spelling i forget about the punctuation ;) .

In this order :-

1. Impact driver (not much good if screw head totally knackered)
2. Hammer and small chisel, anti clockwise of course.
3. Last resort. Drill screw head off, remove whatever it's fixing, and remove shank with grips.

Forgot to mention easy-outs, which are left hand thread studs which you screw into the screw, if you see what I mean. These require a hole to be drilled into the problem screw head, so are only really useful on larger screws.

Thanks for all your replies. It's a small screw and not quite rounded off, so I'll try the tap with hammer and small chisel method. Thanks.

It often helps if you hit the screw driver into the screw(as said earlier) and then try tightening the screw up, before undoing it.

just get yourself a screw extractor s'fix sell them and they do work, either that or a new bit and push harder

To avoid this problem in future learn to tell the difference between Philips and Pozi head screws. They're not the same but I've met mechanical engineers who don't seem to know this. The Philips head has tapered flutes whereas the pozi's are parallel sided. The Philips driver also has too sharp a point for the flat bottomed Pozi screw head. If you try it you will catch only the upper edges of the flutes and, if the screw is tight, chew them off. Having said that I once made myself a dual purpose driver by filing the point off a Philips. It worked most of the time!

As for getting this thing out, all the advice given so far is good though an impact driver is probably too big. I would go for the DIY impact driver. You hit the screwdriver with one hand while applying torque with the other and, as D and J have suggested, try changing directions too. I have one other trick that I don't think has been mentioned so far though it won't work on countersunk screws. File flats on either side of the head and use a spanner.

PZ screws can be identified by etched lines on the head of the screw. These are at 45 degrees to the + which you fit the bit in, if you see what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back