Router Buying Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I will be purchasing a router in the next month or so and am after advice as to which to get.

I'm after something of good quality that will last and has scope for lots of applications. It'll initially be used for lots of skirting, edging and finishing, general joinery, etc.

The two that I'm currently sizing up are:
DW625EK DeWALT 2000W 1/2"
http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=DW625EK&ID=122

and
3612CX Makita 1850W 1/2"
http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=3612CX&ID=1258

I like Makita stuff and so am tempted by that one - but the Dewalt has a a greater max plunge depth of 80mm. Am I likely to use that extrat 20mm? Also the Dewalt has a greater input wattage, willl that allow for a better finish? I couldn't see a Dewalt speed or Makita output wattage to allow a direct comparison.

Lastly... can anyone recommend a set of router bits? I'd rather a decent set with a small range reasonably priced rather than a large cheap range of poor bits that I might never use.

Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
I have the Makita, a great machine great plunge action and very very robust. I use mine generally for worktops and heavy duties and its certainly man enough. I use a smaller trend for lighter work.
I have never owned a Dewalt router but have used them on numerous occasions and the Makita just feels that it is better build to me, others will probably have a different opinion though.

When I was at college I remember the fact that they had used both brands and found that the dewalt routers did not stand up so well to the abuse (and believe me the tools were truly abused lol).

The only cutters I would entertain would be from the following:
Trend, Titman, Wealden and CMT I have always brought mine individually but I know some such as Trend do sets.
Wealdon imo are great value for money too.

A vote here for the deWalt (I have two of them), again it's worktops, solid surface stuff, etc that they get used for. Personally I haven't had too many problems with my MOF177es/DW625s over the years other than getting them nicked! I reckon the collet design is a bit better, but I really don't think there's too much in it, although you may find the range of 3rd party accessories you can get for the DW is a little bit wider. Possibly having owned an earlier Makita 3601B has biased me against the make.

As to cutters, why not start with a lowish cost set such as the Trend starter set? I carry a set like this on the van and I've been quite pleased with mine. OK, I've broken a couple (of the straight cutters) and the shanks are a bit short for router table use, but the range of profiles is very useful for the price and all the profile cutters have stood the test of time very well. Not the cheapest, nor the best but good value for money nontheless, and available even from our local B&Q

Scrit

My mates a full time chippy and has the Makita. He's had it for years and it gets lots of use. He swears by it (not at it :!: )

Sponsored Links
Its worth having a look at the trend t10 or t11.
2000w of power
80 odd mm of plunge (about 20mm ish motre than the makita)
a large hole in the base so fielding cutters can be used
2 year warrenty

the t11 also has a great feature (if you may bench mount it ) of being able to adjust the height of cut from the base as well as the top

As is the CMT orange one as well. Turning into a bit of a router world tart, innet? :LOL:

If your router is going to be used mainly for hand held use on skirting and the like you will be better buying a good quality quarter inch router with a substantial motor, i would personaly purchase something from trend.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh yeah i forgot, make sure what u purchase has a soft star motor to avoid those annoying start up jolts.

1511 said:
If your router is going to be used mainly for hand held use on skirting and the like you will be better buying a good quality quarter inch router with a substantial motor
1/4in routers are a bit lightweight for general joinery work (one of the OPs requirements), though, aren't they? Skirting mouldings tend to be large enough that a 1/2in router makes sense, too, because they'll cut a moulding in a single pass as opposed to the 2 to 3 passes required for a 1/4in machine.

Scrit

Yeah, I'll definately be doing plenty of 5-6" skirting board, plus lots of other joinery.

I took a look at the two Trend routers and I'm still really underdecided between the three makes/models!

At the moment, the Makita is in third place purely becuase of its smaller plunge depth compared to the 80mm of the other two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back