Router Table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a reasonable router (Ryobi 1/2 job) and need a decent table. Have looked at the Ryobi RT 6000 but its around £250, a tad on the dear side. Any recommendations for make and where to buy?

Thanks

charlie

Sponsored Links
Why not make your own?

A mounting kit for the router will cost £25-30. a good thick piece of mdf for the base, some laminate to cover it. An NVR switch £20.00 and some mdf to make the fence. I mounted mine on an old tv stand. Probably cost you no more than £80.00 in total, and that will make a pretty large one.

yes I should really and have thought about it. I thought the same about a table saw but finished up buying one and I've been delighted with it.

Not easy finding things like T bar to adjust the fence etc. B & Q got some trend stuff but adding up all the bits it would be cheaper to buy one.

Looked at the Axminister one and am very tempted (thanks Petewood). Will have to decide shortly.

charlie

Sponsored Links
I think making a table is a good idea if you are on a budget. I think I would probably buy the perform fence from axminster though, much easier to adjust and more versatile than a length of mdf and two cramps.

charlie_parker said:
Not easy finding things like T bar to adjust the fence etc.
charlie
You can get the aluminium T track from Rutlands as well as the T bolts for it.
It's industry standard 3/4" track to take a mitre gauge etc

Thanks for all the advice but decided to buy one. Managed to persuade the funding manager to let me buy one (on the pretext of building lots of furniture!). Bought a Ryobi RT6000 at £180 + vat from Shiptons. Best price I could find on the web. Put it together today which took a bit of time as instructions are a lttlie unclear. Finished it now and really impressed with the quality.

Minor problem though regarding the switch on the router; I can't seem to get it to remain on and guess this is a safety measure. All well and good when used manually but not much good when it's fixed to the table. No doubt I can fix something up but seems a little strange to have to do this with the table and router being the same make.

Any thoughts?

charlie

Many routers no longer have a rocker on/off switch for safety.
Some, like trend sell attachments to hold the switch on for table use.
A lot of people overcome this by taping the switch on so the router is switched on with the NVR switch on the table.
DONT forget to remove the tape, or whatever else you use, when you remove the router from the table.
I plugged my router in after forgetting to switch it off when I removed it from the table.
That frightened the hell out of me so have never made that mistake again.

Dewy said:
I plugged my router in after forgetting to switch it off when I removed it from the table.
quote]

If you want a laugh watch someone plug in a belt sander which is still switched on! If it's plugged into an extension lead it can be trying to climb the wall at the end of the workshop before the brain has worked out whether it's better to chase the sander or to run for the wall switch.

A belt sander may be cause for amusement but a router at 20,000rpm is far from a joke.
It can cause very serious injuries.
The most feared by men would be their ability to join a choir as a soprano considering where the router is likely to be when plugged in.

It doesn't bear thinking about...... :cry:

theres an amusing thread there somewhere dewy :confused:

possibly on another forum :LOL:

Not so amusing for the poor guy who holds the router that way BA. lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back