Rover 200 Wiper Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I have a fault with my front wipers on my rover 200 when on the intermittent setting. Basically I can hear a relay tick when they are half way through the cycle, causing them to stop in the vertical position. Now, the wipers also used to start by them selves so after going to a car shop I was told it was the motor and he suggested to go to a scrappy as he would charge me 90 quid.

I did get a new motor from a 51 plate rover (mine is an R 97) and the wipers no longer start by themselves, but still only do half a cycle.

I know rovers have a Multi Function Unit, but there expensive. Can I trace this fault before I have to buy a new part? Could I have bought a second faulty motor?

Any help would be great as this has been driving me mad for a couple of months now!!
Thanks
Wazz

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Well, as this isnt generating much of a response thought I would update it with what I have found out.
I went out yesterday to try and fix the fault, but it soon became very obvious that I havent got a glue whats going on inside the motor!
When, on the stalk I turn the wipers on intermittent.. whats the sequence of events that happens? I hear a relay tick on and about half a second later, it ticks off. When it goes off the wipers "try" and carry on but soon give up. I measured the voltage at the motor, but can only find a 12v perminent supply. Anyone help on that one? I was expecting to see a rise and fall. But, from this, I gathered that as there is a perminent 12v supply to the motor that the motor must deal with parking the wipers itself as I thought this would be governed by the MFU. Can anyone tell me if thats correct? If it is correct, and the relay only needs to stay open for a short period to trigger the motor then I can save myself £50+ from buying the incorrect replacement part!

Any help would be great!!
thanks!

I am not by any means an expert on Rovers, generally speaking I'd have thought you'd see a momenterally switched 12v supply to activate the wiper and the permanent (ignition) 12v supply is there to run the wiper and allow it to go back to park. Can you get hold of a Haynes manual or a wiring diagram? Maybe a Rover expert will be along soon :D

Sponsored Links
hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.
It doesnt, I dont think have an adjustable intermittent setting. I also have the haynes manual... but I cant make sense of this problem!

Maybe I should just do as my girld friend says and buy a new car... this is only one of several issues!

Thanks

if you can find a way of posting up a picture of the wiring diagram,that would help us a bit,particularly the intermittant relay(if it has one)

Hi again,

Well I found the fault.. fixed it and was really pleased with myself... BUT... I have now blown three fuses just driving to the gym and back.. luckily I had a a few spare (well.. 3 actually. I hope its not raining when I go to work in the morning!)

I followed this tutorial to fix it. (I had this problem)
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=150457&highlight=repair+wiper+motor

However, I have no idea why I would be blowing a fuse... or do I? The only two reasons I can think of (as in all that is different between now and before I messed with it) are 1) I had to remove a lot of the grease (not all) from inside the wiper contacts housing and havent replaced it yet. 2) I scratched the surface with the contacts on it by mistake. Could these be linked? I scratched the wiper contacts from the outside to the inner with a screw driver, so could I have joined to contact tracks together? or does the grease act as a form of insulation?

Any help would be great!!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Back