Royal Mail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently received a letter from Royal Mail (please click on it to read):

Should I send this reply:

Dear xxxxxxxx,

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 11 May.

I can quite assure you that my dog most definitely did not attack the postman who normally delivers mail to my home.

I admit that the dog does bound and bark in a scary manner, and I will be the first to admit that this is intimidating. I am not sycophantic towards the dog, but I would like to add that this dog is a rescue dog who has been beaten remorselessly and abused on a daily basis – indeed the previous owner was prosecuted. Therefore the dog has some issues, which we are trying to work on – this has included the purchase of a fluorescent orange overcoat.

A dog attack would involve biting – I can appreciate that it might seem like a big dog running towards you while barking would do that, but it hasn’t, it didn’t, and it won’t. So to say the postman has been attacked is an exaggeration.

However I did not like the way the dog reacted and did try and speak to the postman after the event to try and re-assure him it wouldn’t happen again. I even phoned Royal Mail to put this point across.

Re: the paragraph “I do hope that this course of action will not be necessary, and that you are able to control the dog during what is a relatively short period of time required to make a delivery”. I can control the dog during what is a relatively short period of time required to make a delivery, but with deliveries these days being at random times, who knows when the post will come? Even at the grand old age of 31, I remember it was not so long ago the post arrived before you awoke. I am told in some parts of the country this still happens.

Because of this recent ‘incident’, we are now keeping the dog indoors until the post has arrived, whenever that will be.

I would also like to point out that it is not Royal Mail’s accepted standard to write addresses with the county name if the postcode is present. Secondly, the post town should be in upper case.

With regards,

The Occupier

?

Sponsored Links
remove the final para for a start.

And the bit about the good old days.

I was in my hallway last week when one of those cards about trying to deliver a parcel but you not being in came through my letter box. I opened the door and explained to the 'postperson' that I was in fact in and may I have my parcel? He looked a bit shifty and then said that he didn't have my parcel, it was still at the sorting office!!
The lazy, fat bestard couldn't be bothered to bring it with him, didn't even knock when he got to my house and hoped I wouldn't be in!!

Well I feel sorry for the postman, why can't dog owners understand that not all of us like the nasty smelly little boggers. :evil:

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
I admit that the dog does bound and bark in a scary manner, and I will be the first to admit that this is intimidating. ?

I see nothing wrong with the standard response letter sent to you.

YOU allowed the postman to be intimidated, how did he know he would not get bitten...? Some people, including postmen, are very scared by dogs.

Do not see why postmen/women should need to be on guard at every property they deliver to.

You were in at the time, YOU should have controlled your dog.

BTW....I am not a postman, and I love dogs...... :LOL:

I admit that the dog does bound and bark in a scary manner, and I will be the first to admit that this is intimidating

So why should Mr postman have to put up with being intimidated by your dog?

I have to agree that you should just accept the letter for what it is and keep the dog inside when you know the postman is due. Surely we've heard enough about dogs mauling people recently. Frankly I'm surprised that it's not law that dogs must be "made safe" when the postman turns up. Maybe the American idea of having lockable postboxes at the edge of your property makes sense?
And before you ask, yes I have a dog and a big one too.

lol, i thought it only happened it cartoons.

Richardp said:
why can't dog owners understand that not all of us like the nasty smelly little boggers. :evil:

That's not a nice way to talk about RM employees...

@ Trazor and ScatmanJohn: I'm not saying what happened was excusable at all, and can quite understand Royal Mail's point of view. It is the fact that postman wasn't attacked, and post comes at random times. I think you can read in my response I said I will control the dog - it's just a bit sad that we are sat outside waiting with baited breath for the post to arrive, then we can let the dog out.

It is also the fact that in the past the postman has rubbed several of the neighbours up the wrong way. I once was knee-deep in concrete and mortar, and he started going on at me about how my front door was all wrong - but only because he wouldn't have it like that. He has also leaped over neighbours cars in a Dukes of Hazzard style to make short cuts.

I am not sending the letter anyway.

notb665 said:
he started going on at me about how my front door was all wrong - He has also leaped over neighbours cars in a Dukes of Hazzard style to make short cuts.

What a rotter, I'd set my dog on him if I had one. Write to the post office explaining the above and I'm sure they'll give you permission

hermes said:
notb665 said:
he started going on at me about how my front door was all wrong - He has also leaped over neighbours cars in a Dukes of Hazzard style to make short cuts.

What a rotter, I'd set my dog on him if I had one. Write to the post office explaining the above and I'm sure they'll give you permission

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back