Rules regarding door locations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering partitioning off a small area of my upstairs room (chalet bungalow) and creating a new doorway into the existing room.

The new doorway would be located adjacent to the top of the stairs, is this technically allowed??

If needed I shall take a couple of piccies and post them (a picture tells a thou... etc.)

Any thoughts?

janitor

Sponsored Links
mildmanneredjanitor said:
The new doorway would be located adjacent to the top of the stairs, is this technically allowed??
Without seeing it I can't say but basically it normally come under Fire & Safety regs.

Just a bit of common sense, is the door opening to the hall area (?) if not can you get out incase of fire in the room and is the door opening too near the staircase (?) incase of falling down stairs, if the door is on top of the stair then make sure the door open inward and can a Fireman reach you from the window with a ladder etc ( this wouldn't be in your case as the house already been passed). I can't really see a problem as I say just a bit of common sense, another word do your " Risk Assessment ".

Cheers Masona,

I'll take a couple of pics and post them later (digital camera crubbish in artificial light!)

At the end of the day, it's only studwork and can be returned to it's prior layout (if and when we ever build the extension we want).

Just be nice to remove my 'office' from the kitchen diner! (our puppy lives there and likes the taste of usb cables... :rolleyes:
Gus.jpg

I saw this on a recent TV prog don't know if it applies to yours - If you have a door opening on to stairs the building regs say door must be at 90 degrees to the staircase with a platform (I think they said a metre but not sure on that)? Not opening in such a way as to step directly onto stairs (or something like that). :confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back