Running cable under a suspended floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a silly question, but are there any rules about how cable should be run underneath a suspended floor? Does it have to be channeled through the joists or can it just be run along the ground?

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Ben.

Sponsored Links
do you mean ground floor wooden floor, with 2 foot drop to earth floor like in traditional terrace houses

It does not need to be drilled through the joists.
However, it should not be left on the floor, as this makes the cable more susceptible to vermin damage, and possible problems from damp / floods.

The usual way to run cables is to clip them to the underside of every second or third joist.

Yes, ground floor wooden floor with just less than a 2ft drop to compacted hardcore base.

Ben

Sponsored Links
as RF said clip to underside of joists keep away from pests etc. RF did you look at that zanussi pic?

So I will have to remove a good number of floor bords anyway. Oh well its best to do things by the book I suppose.

Many thanks.

2 foot should be enough space to crawl arround in.........

Unfortunately it is less than 2ft. About 1.5ft from bottom of the boards to the ground bout only approx 1ft from the bottom of the joists to the ground, less in some places. I'm too fat anyway! :eek:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back