Running cable under the Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there ,

Just like to say what a great forum and useful information .
Just after some advice with refernce to my kitchen wiring which is a mess since removing the tiles .

I have a very old consumer unit .
The cooker socket ( which is situated above my gas cooker ) feeds the cooker hood ( not via an FCU ). The same cooker socket also feeds a double socket below my worktop which is used for the washing machine , and of course the same socket feeds the gas cooker for the igniter .

On the other side of the kitchen I have a double socket feeding a spur horizontally without any conduit but just plastered over . Also the Kitchen light switch cable also has no conduit and no sheathing on the cable .

On top of that my lighting circuit does not have an earth .

So here it goes
1. I intend running a new cable for the light switch , directly above is the Bath , is there anything that I should take note of when running electrical cable under the floorboards directly below a bath .

2.Is it possible to run a new cable from the consumer unit to just one Socket? Or to break into the main ring and use a junction box to feed a double socket .

3. I have seen a wall chaser for £78 , are they any good and do they save a lot of time and effort.

4. If I was to run 1.5mm T&E cable for my lighting circuit under my floorboards upstairs , does the cable need to be clipped down & does it need to be layed in any particular fashion .

I know its a lot of information but my electrics seem to be in a mess , and the only electricians I have met so far are only interested in the Consumer unit job , but not the rest of it .

Sponsored Links
2000tdi said:
3. I have seen a wall chaser for £78 , are they any good and do they save a lot of time and effort.

Don't bother, use an angle grinder, put a black spur disc in it(about a quid) save u £77.

2000tdi said:
I know its a lot of information but my electrics seem to be in a mess , and the only electricians I have met so far are only interested in the Consumer unit job , but not the rest of it.

Keep trying, tell him when u find him you will do all the messy work for him cause you want to use your new black spur disc ;)

[/quote]

Angle grinder , not a bad idea , Luckliy enough I purchased a Bosch one last week with stone cutting disks .

I'll certainly give that a try .

If you use a grinder it will cerate a lot of dust, and when you have done the job you will not be able to see for a few hours :LOL:

Just get a nicker and hammer just as quick and a lot less mess, ;)

Sponsored Links
I think your probably right , dont think the wife will be impressed with all the dust , one electrician said that he prefers to use a chisel action SDS Drill .

It's amazing who much dust is cerated when using a grinder, i use one a lot on roof tiles and cutting one tile would fill a room in no time they are ok out-doors but in door no way, unless the place is empty, dust get's every where, you spend more time cleaning the dust up than doing the job in the first place, ;)

we use bosch chaser with vacuum to suck up dust, pretty clean then, but if u are only DIYer then its a bit expensive

I think I've probably said this before, but I used an angle grinder to chase out channels in the wall..........once.

If it is your own house, and (1) you are not paying yourself by the hour (2) you don't want your hair, clothes, teeth, carpets, walls, floors, TV and ceilings to be coated with gritty dust, not just in the room where you are working but throughout the house:

use a club hammer and a bolster, tap two parallel lines through the plaster and knock out the chase in the middle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back