Sand for Lawn Aeration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To combat moss in my lawn on clay/chalk soil, I propose to aerate (by renting a power aerator) and dress with sand. What sand should I specify? Will sharp sand from builders' merchant be satisfactory?
What rate of application should I use?

Sponsored Links
I think you can buy a product called "Lawn Sand" which will have coverage rates listed on the pack - I presume it has fertilizer included in the mix rather thn just being sand alone. Apparently Gardeners World this Friday is about lawns so it may be helpful.

i always thought the idea behind it all was to puncture the lawn (aerate it) then "FILL" the holes with sand (sharp sand is good) the idea being that you"break the compactedness" of the lawn by aeraiting it and all the sand is for is just to stop the holes from closing up.

I remember the late Geoff Hamilton doing it, he used a garden fork, then threw sand on the grass and used a broom to sweep it in the holes, so the amount is not specific, just enough to fill the holes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back