Saniflo question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know they are a pain but unfortunately its my only option!

The question is does the saniflo have to connect direct to the WC spigot?.

I need to know if I can connect via a straight pipe from the back of the toilet that will be approx 12 inches long it will go through a wall and then into the saniflo. In affect just extending the WC spigot.

Basically I want to site the toilet in the room and put the saniflo in the garage which is directly behind the wall its going on. Mainly for easier access easier plumbing and cut down on the noise. Which would make the job a doddle. :LOL:

Otherwise it will be a pig, fals wall, plastering etc. :cry:

All the pictures show the saniflow connected directly to the toilet spigot.

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer

but

karawara88 said:
............All the pictures show the saniflow connected directly to the toilet spigot.

does this not answer your own question?, it would be interesting to see solids (and liquids for that matter) run up hill or along a level pipe "under their own steam"

karawara88 said:

I need to know if I can connect via a straight pipe from the back of the toilet that will be approx 12 inches long it will go through a wall and then into the saniflo. In affect just extending the WC spigot.

Basically I want to site the toilet in the room and put the saniflo in the garage which is directly behind the wall its going on. Mainly for easier access easier plumbing and cut down on the noise. Which would make the job a doddle. :LOL:

There is your clue.

Solids would not be going up hill! I would have a slight drop from the toilet into the saniflow of about 2 - 3 inches over 12 inches

I realise all the pictures show them on the back of the spigot but I thought someone may have done or seen somthing different.

Sponsored Links
karawara88 said:
Solids would not be going up hill!
How are we to know the relation ship between toilet and saniflow unless you say so ( which you didnt) we always assume the worst

karawara88 said:
I would have a slight drop from the toilet into the saniflow of about 2 - 3 inches over 12 inches
presuming you meant it would, thats still a whole lot of "stuff" to sit in a pipe, waiting for the next lot to come along and hopefully push out the first lot

karawara88 said:
I realise all the pictures show them on the back of the spigot but I thought someone may have done or seen somthing different.

i guess that says it all

don't get me wrong, i understand what you are trying to do, and why, but saniflows are a pain to fix, quite often go wrong, and if you could do as you ask would it not be in the brochures or a picture, so since its not is it not a safe bet to say you cant do it?

could you not knock the wall out a bit and run a soil pipe strait to the sewer?

I thought as stupid as it maybe, that as you can buy a WC Pan Connector Extension Piece (flexible and ridgid) for a "normal" toilet. ie. as if it were going into the soil pipe. That maybe, just possibly maybe it would OK to use this into a saniflo as the function of the toilet is no different until it actually gets to the saniflo box.

Assuming what you have said, a "normal" toilet, should never have an extension pipe on it as it will end up with solids sat in it!!

Looking at the saniflo site and other places I could find no mention of it either way, it did not so NO you can't do it and it did not say YES you can.

If I could have joined to the soil stack I would not be needing to use a saniflo :rolleyes:

The room I am installing into backs onto an internal garage seperated only by a single thickness breezeblock wall "if" I could have extend the WC outlet through this wall, life would have been a lot easier. It would have been installed in a place that was easy to get at should anything go wrong with it. I know where I would rather take one out of! stuck crouched down in a tiny cloakroom or easy access in the garage

Which is why I thought the question was worth asking. ;)

karawara88, the advice you've been given on this topic is rather poor. I see no reason why you couldn't and shouldn't do what you're proposing.

People generally don't have the option that you seem to have, i.e. of moving it further away from the WC, so I expect that's the reason the pictures only ever show it behind directly coupled.

karawara88 said:
I would have a slight drop from the toilet into the saniflow of about 2 - 3 inches over 12 inches
That's quite a large drop - you only need about 1/2" over that distance.

breezer said:
How are we to know the relation ship between toilet and saniflow unless you say so
By asking a question. :rolleyes:

breezer said:
we always assume the worst
Speak for yourself. The majority of us make no assumptions at all.

breezer said:
karawara88 said:
presuming you meant it would, thats still a whole lot of "stuff" to sit in a pipe, waiting for the next lot to come along and hopefully push out the first lot
What in the name of all that's holy are you talking about?

breezer said:
don't get me wrong, i understand what you are trying to do
There appears to be no evidence of that understanding.

if you could do as you ask would it not be in the brochures or a picture, so since its not is it not a safe bet to say you cant do it?
If you feel that the advice you're offering is a guess or a gamble then it would be better not to offer it. But then you wouldn't be racking up your post count so quickly. :rolleyes:

Thanks Softus

The room that is being turned into a cloakroom was originally part of the garage and the previous owners never got around to installing the toilet and sink, if I site the toilet up against the breeze block wall then it made sense to me to put the saniflo in the garage.

But because no mention was made anywhere about doing this I thought I better ask first. My only other concern was with it freezing but I could make a small insulated box to sit over it which would also offer protection.

Its not a job I particuarly want to do, but her in doors has been nagging for months :LOL: :LOL:

karawara88 said:
if I site the toilet up against the breeze block wall then it made sense to me to put the saniflo in the garage.
For maintenance purposes the unit is FAR better off in the garage. The only place better for a Saniflow is in someone else's house. ;)

Another thought - is there any chance of it annoying your neighbours when the motor runs, given that they're much more likely to hear it when it's in the garage? Your idea of insulation would mitigate this, but don't make the thing overheat.

My only other concern was with it freezing but I could make a small insulated box to sit over it which would also offer protection.
That would be a good precaution, but if there's a definite risk of freezing then perhaps you should attempt to keep the Saniflow within the 'thermal envelope', i.e. within the cloakroom.

No problems with annoying the neighbours and if its louder than their bloody dog that can only be a good thing!

The chances of it freezing in the garage are very slim the previous owners had an unlagged cold water pipe in the garage for years with no problems. But I would put an insulated box over it just to be on the safe side.

It will hardly ever be used. It was mainly for my Mum for when she calls because the stairs are a pain for her. Got to keep them happy. :LOL: and my wife wants the house finished. :!:

karawara88 said:

I am thinking about installing the same but if you look at the 10 golden rules of installing a saniflo no7 says 150mm max from pan spigot and a wall

oompah said:
if you look at the 10 golden rules of installing a saniflo no7 says 150mm max from pan spigot and a wall
Where can one look at these golden rules?

karawara88, inspired by oompah's post I delved into the FAQs on the Saniflow web site, and found this:

A Saniflo macerator is designed to fit on the back of a WC. However, it is possible to install the unit behind some panelling by utilising a short extension piece which should not exceed 150mm in length. Longer extensions tend to cause an accumulation of waste at the entry to the Saniflo product.

So what would be the length of the extension piece in your proposed installation?

Softus said:
oompah said:
if you look at the 10 golden rules of installing a saniflo no7 says 150mm max from pan spigot and a wall
Where can one look at these golden rules?
Saniflo web site click on say the sanibest then it comes up with other instructions

If you also look at plumbingpages.com they have a different type of macerator called a sanisplit made by someone else, on the write up to that it looks as if you can site away from the wc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back