Saniflo with Hep2o / Hep20 Discharge Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Due to location in my terraced house I am considering installing a Saniflo. I emailed the Saniflo support team with some questions. One of which was what pipe could I use?

He replied: "you can use copper or Hep20".

On the Saniflo site it says do not use flexible pipework but I have a Saniflo member of staff telling me it is ok.

1) Has anyone else used Hep2o as a Saniflo discharge pipe?
2) Are there any risks, damage that can happen to this type of pipe compared to using copper or CPVC as a discharge?
3) How do you do joins. Is pushfit ok?
4) Where can I buy Hep20. Plumbers Merchants or any DIY Stores. I live in Chester.

Thanks

Liam

Sponsored Links
I avaoid these for fowl waste like the plague but have used one for a shower. I consider the safest method of geting the stuff away is as you say via a single length of 22mm "Barrier" Hepworth HeP20, no joints at all.

Hi, will having the barrier cable benefit me? I thought that was for Central Heating?

Is there a technical reason why I should use the barrier cable rather than standard hep2o?

Has anyone esle got any opinions on my original question.

Sponsored Links
liamcaswell said:
Has anyone esle got any opinions on my original question.
Hi Liam

It is always beneficial to recognise that these guys - to whom I owe quite a lot of help - work all weekdays and kindly offer advice in their own time to people like me who want to have a go by themselves.

It is good therefore to be patient and not expect an instant answer.

standard hepworth pipe breaths, that is why we use barrier for heating to prevent oxygenation of the system water, I imagine a pipe which allows exchange of oxygen might allow passage of methane. Your choice, price point insignificant, user friendlyness almost identical. Can cut it with pipeslice and a snap or correct cutter.

Liam Hi

Like you I am about to instal a Saniflo system and was interested in your proposal to use Speedfit.

Here is the reply I have just received from John Guest:

Thank you for your e-mail. I'm sorry to say that no you can't use Speedfit
for waste water. Speedfit is made from Polyethylene and Polybutylene both
these plastics are vulnerable to aggressive cleaners that can be used to
clean and clear waste. Waste pipes are normally made from UPVC which is
impervious to a lot of the drain cleaners and bleaches. Normally the waste
from a Saniflo would either be 22mm copper or 3/4" UPVC overflow pipe. If I
can be any further help to you in this matter please don't hesitate to
contact me.

Hope this is in time.

I also think any of the pushfit type connections would be a bad idea as they do have a tendency to creep - particularly in pipes that go through cycles of pressure/no pressure - as would be happening with your proposed system. If you can, go for one length of pipe with appropriately routed runs, smooth bends (not knuckles which cause a restriction in flow) and plenty of pipe supports.

I had to put one of these units in - didn't want to but had no alternative due to space and pipe run restrictions. Luckily I was able to get hold of some cheap ABS pressure pipe from work - much stronger than solvent weld waste which is what they normally have installed !

Hi Alex,

I have emailed the man from saniflo back for confirmation. As far as I know, HEP20 and Speedfit are different.

Also, I will only need a single run of pipe with no joins from start to finish.

I will post his response.

I just received the email back and also called:
-----EMAIL-----
Liam,
You can use HEP 20 but it will obviously need to be fitted with
support clips at regular intervals.As far as Barrier or Standard is
concerned then it doesn,t matter which one you choose. Regards
------------------
When I called on the phone they said Hep20 would be ok but to check with hepworth about using cleaning products in their pipework.

I called hepworth. They said don't use corrosive cleaners and I'll be fine. Does anyone know of toilet cleaners that are non-corrosive or are they all like that. Any input is appreciated as I am very nearly a HEP20 owner!

Hope this helps Alex.

Liam

liamcaswell said:
When I called on the phone they said Hep20 would be ok but to check with hepworth about using cleaning products in their pipework.

I called hepworth. They said don't use corrosive cleaners and I'll be fine. Does anyone know of toilet cleaners that are non-corrosive or are they all like that. Any input is appreciated as I am very nearly a HEP20 owner!

Hope this helps Alex.

Liam
Cheers Liam - I am not really up on Hepworths products (other than the rather neat hepvo Self sealing waste valves) and because I was thinking Speedfit that stuck in my head - sorry for any confusion.

Non Corrosive - you coul;d try the Eco range they are supposed to be enviro friendly but see if the have a helpline. http://www.ecover.com/gb/en/Products/Cleaning/20050712++WC+UK.htm

Another response from Saniflo when I asked why it is not listed on the site as allowed:
------------------------------------------
Liam,
We don,t recomend HEP 20 as we have tried and tested copper and
solvent weld plastic over a long period.Any alkaline based cleaner should
be alright with HEP 20 and it is probably best to avoid aggresive acid
based cleaners. Regards
-----------------------------------------------

So Alex, will you be using Hep20 for your Saniflo system waste pipe?

I am pretty certain I will but would like to know that someone will take the plunge with me!!

http://www.speedplumb.co.uk/

Sell it with free delivery. Could be worth a look.

I have an uncle who was a chemist he recons there is a massive biproduct of the chemical industry which they are delighted to palm off on housewifes to pur down the loo, a little clever advertising and there you go they have your houisewife disposing of their chemical waste into the sewer for them, so they don't get a fine and make some money to boot.

What sticks to the sides wipe off. There yer go!

liamcaswell said:
Another response from Saniflo when I asked why it is not listed on the site as allowed:
------------------------------------------
Liam,
We don,t recomend HEP 20 as we have tried and tested copper and
solvent weld plastic over a long period.Any alkaline based cleaner should
be alright with HEP 20 and it is probably best to avoid aggresive acid
based cleaners. Regards
-----------------------------------------------

So Alex, will you be using Hep20 for your Saniflo system waste pipe?

I am pretty certain I will but would like to know that someone will take the plunge with me!!

http://www.speedplumb.co.uk/

Sell it with free delivery. Could be worth a look.
Sorry I opted for the good old copper route as it works fine for me as it will feed in from the side of the house (where the old but roller coaster routed waste pipe went). 7 metres plus from the bathroom and not able to achieve a constant fall with full 40mm pipe, hence the need for pumping via 22mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back