Santon Unvented & Suprima 70L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just installed a Santon Premier Plus System fit cylinder in my loft. It is wired to a Suprima 70L boiler, which unfortunately refuses to fire.

After switching on the power, the pump on the cylinder runs continuously, however the boiler's red light comes on, and not much else happens.

Can anyone out there help please? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
flashing red or solid red?

solid red with flashing green indicates external controls calling for heat.
just a solid red indicates no call so external problem

flashind red is a lockout from overheat or failing to light or fault with PCB

need more info on LEDs and any boiler activity. im assuming you've tried re-setting it with black button.

Hi rob884, thanks for replying and here goes!.

The red and green lights come on when power goes on, then after a few seconds, approx 10, the green light goes out but the red stays on solid. The green light does not flash, but stays off.

I have tried resetting the boiler via the black button, but to no avail.

You mention external problem. Could the wiring be an issue. The santon literature states that the wiring for the boiler come from the wiring centre on the front of the cylinder. I have followed these instructions using twin and earth cable. I have then connected the live neutral and earth wires to the live neutral and earth points on the boiler's terminal block, indicated by 'MAINS'. Do I need to attach a switched live and if so, what is that and where does it come from?

Thanks again.

SL wil come from external controls in this sequence -MAINS-CLOCK-THERMOSTATS-MOTORISED VALVE-BOILER.

does this boiler supply radiators if so (from your post you cannot wire the cyl stat direct to boiler.

need more info on external controls, i.e M.valves also what alterations to wiring you have done yourslef assuming everthing worked with original cylinder.

rob

Sponsored Links
The boiler does supply rads also.

The cylinder is an unvented type. It is a systemfit model, that is to say all the valves, 2 no. 2 port, pump, temp/pressure controls etc.. are all pre-wired and configured from the manufacturer.

The only items that installers/users need install are the programmer and room temp sensor and also the boiler for heating the water that circulates in the primary system.

The installation guide for the cylinder is available at:

http://www.santon.co.uk/santon/sant...le/36005933 PremierPlus SystemFit issue 1.pdf

I have followed the wiring diagram as given on page 19 of the above manual. As you can see the majority of the wiring has already been done by the manufacturers prior to delivery. I have wired the cylinder from the mains, also I have run twin and earth cable to the programmer, also tiwn and earth from the programmer to the cylinder's wiring centre, and I have run twin and earth to the boiler as directed in the diagram.

We inherited this boiler when we bought this property. Previoulsy it was
configured as a open vented system, with a conventional hot water cylinder.

Are you qualified to install unvented cylinders?

Did you notify your local Building Control office?

Tony

Hi Agile,

I have taken and passed the ACS ACOP course and exams, and I have taken and passed the Unvented Hot Water Systems module also.

The Building Control Office is fully aware of the installation.

Any suggestions how to proceed Tony?

Sounds like a classic example of not conforming to the regs biting you on the backside.

The Electrics should have been installed by a registered electrician who could register them, I suspect you have a wiring fault.

Thanks for the pointer HarrogateGas,

I shall examine all the wiring.

updates on condition of posterior to follow!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back