Satellite/VCR/DVD Recorder/TV Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a problem bet there is no forum fo it so I am asking it here. I have a Satellite Reciever box, a VCR, a DVD Recorder and a TV but cannot firure out how to connect them all together so that they all can be played through the TV. Any ideas of which cables go where?

Sponsored Links
The best way is to wire them through the SCART sockets, but depends on how many each applaince has available. Look on the back of each and let us know, and whether they are inputs or outputs.

A SCART socket is a long socket with about 20-flat pins in. It is sort-of rectangular, but got a kink in it at one end.

Also, if you could give some idea of how you want to use it. If you have a DVD recorder, does that mean you only want to use the VCR for playing, not recording. Presumably you want to be able to record Sky programmes.

There are 2 scart sockets into the back of the TV and one each in the back of the Satellite Reciever and DVD recorder. At present the DVD player is playing up so ideally I would want to use to record and playback. If that's not possible then just using the dvd to playback and the VCR to record and playback would suffice. I think the TV ones are both input and the DVD recoreder and Satellite reciever are both output. Yes I would want to record from Sky

OK - This isn't ideal, but I think that you will need to do something like as follows.

Connect the DVD player via a SCART lead to one of the TV SCART sockets.

Connect the VCR via a SCART lead to the other TV SCART socket.

Your TV probably has channels called AV1 and AV2 to selct these two inputs

Connect the RF Output of the satellite receiver to the RF input of the VCR. You will need to tune a channel on the VCR to receive this, and to watch SKY, you will need to switch the TV to view the VCR output, and then have the VCR on the relevant channel.

Connect your normal aerial to the TV input.

This means that you can record SKY, but when recording you will be restricted to watching only terrestrial channels which you can select through channels 1 thru' 5 on the TV

Something like that should work and allow you to record SKY. Try it and then experiment with turning things on and off and see what happens. Be prepared to learn how to operate 4 remote controls at once .

Sponsored Links
One last thing. When trying to tune your VCR in to recieve the satellite output, set the satellite receiver to something non-terrestrial (like ITV 2) - that way you'll know you've got the right thing.

With this set up will Sky be digital?, my freeview would not be digital if this set up were followed.
My freeview has scart output (dose Sky) this is connected to vcr I also have RF from freeview connected to vcr.

The rf from vcr then goes to distribution system, so all tvs can view video, freeview or tv.

Its is the modulation system that is digital, the transmission of Sky and Freeview is always analogue. However you pass it onto the TV, Sky and Freeview are always 'digital' (Its all a matter of definition really - if I could think of a suitable analogy, I'd use it, as I can see even as I write this that I am not explaining it well)

Your Sky or Freeview boxes convert the received signal into two forms. A baseband (raw data for controlling the TV) signal and a remodulated RF signal for use on tellies with no SCART input. The baseband signal is available through the SCART sockets, and the RF through the RF socket. The SCART signal is better, because the signal stays in 'TV language' rather than having to go through the processes of being remodulated into and demodulated from RF.

I think that the difference between your set-up and Mick's is that your VCR has a SCART input and output, whereas his just has an output. That's why he will have to use Sky's RF output to then input to the VCR.

If you know anyone near you with a kid ask them if you can borrow it, kids can work out how these things fit together and work without reading the manual in no time, but make sure it dosnt touch anything else. :D

IMPORTANT NOTE:

1) Many DVD recorders have an "RGB input", which provides the best possible picture quality to record from your Sky box.

2) Most TVs with 2 scart sockets only have ONE RGB-enabled SCART.

Check your DVD recorder manual. If there is an RGB-enabled SCART input (not just output) then the ideal way to set your whole system up is to plug your DVD recorder into the RGB-enabled SCART of your TV, and plug the SCART output of your Skybox (I believe the one labelled "VCR").

Then just connect your VCR (which is NOT compatible with RGB signals) into the remaining SCART on your TV.

The downside of this is that you won't be able to use your VCR to record SKY, but why would you want to when you have a DVD recorder :D

The thing that totally blew my mind when I connected my cable box, dvd, vcr and tv with scarts - was that they all seemed to know instinctively what it was I wanted to do! The TV switches by itself to whichever of it's scart inputs I have turned on most recently.... and so on. It seems a bit scary to me - but then I'm only an electronics engineer turned IT. Problem is I'm not that "kid" you mentioned a while ago.
It seems that the Scart system, provided you have good cables with all pins connected, is not just a connection system but also a signalling system - probably.
On the other hand, it's probably just magic.

It's a little bit of magic ;)

There is a signalling pin on the SCART lead. It goes to 12V to switch. Even cleverer, modern equipment can switch this pin to 6V instead. This indicates that the signal is widescreen.

My Sony TV even knows to switch to widescreen when I plug my Sony camcorder in through just a plain composite video. Must be some signalling going on there too.

jtaunton

Its is the modulation system that is digital, the transmission of Sky and Freeview is always analogue. However you pass it onto the TV, Sky and Freeview are always 'digital' (Its all a matter of definition really - if I could think of a suitable analogy, I'd use it, as I can see even as I write this that I am not explaining it well)

Your Sky or Freeview boxes convert the received signal into two forms. A baseband (raw data for controlling the TV) signal and a remodulated RF signal for use on tellies with no SCART input. The baseband signal is available through the SCART sockets, and the RF through the RF socket. The SCART signal is better, because the signal stays in 'TV language' rather than having to go through the processes of being remodulated into and demodulated from RF.

I think that the difference between your set-up and Mick's is that your VCR has a SCART input and output, whereas his just has an output. That's why he will have to use Sky's RF output to then input to the VCR.

I was going to ask, why is my tv wide screen with scart & not with RF, but has this been answered by AdamW?
AdamW

It's a little bit of magic

There is a signalling pin on the SCART lead. It goes to 12V to switch. Even cleverer, modern equipment can switch this pin to 6V instead. This indicates that the signal is widescreen.

My Sony TV even knows to switch to widescreen when I plug my Sony camcorder in through just a plain composite video. Must be some signalling going on there too.

AdamW said:
It's a little bit of magic ;)

it's pin 9 if i remember rightly. i'll look for a picture.

i remember trying to explain to customers how it happened... but then i remember trying to explian to customers how i knew their address when they game me their postcode!! :D

dabaldie said:
it's pin 9 if i remember rightly. i'll look for a picture.
just to correct the above, the control pin is actually pin 8

Sponsored Links
Back