Scantronic 9100 Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Recently moved house and after HOURS on the net I have finally worked out that the alarm box is a scantronic 9100 (there was no user manual and no name on outside box etc)

I wanted to change the numbers to arm/disarm the alarm but have been told that only an engineer can do this-the alarm company who installed it want a 100 quid to come out and "service" the system and change the number

My questions:

Is there a way to change the number myself??

Is it a big undertaking/cost to "remove" the scantronic box and replace it with a more user friendly control box???

Thanks in anticipation of any advice

Sponsored Links
If you know the engineer code then yes you could change this yourself. I'm guessing however you probably don't the default code is 7890.
Re-enter Programming Mode
1. Key in 0 + Enter + 7890.
The display should clear you should now be able to remove the lid.Then enter
Your code 21 ENTER new code ENTER (4 to 8 digits)

Followed by 99 + ENTER

However the system you have there is very antiquated and if budget allows I would advise an upgrade. As long as the system is fault free it would not be a huge undertaking to change the panel. Depends on how competent you are as to whether you take it on yourself.

Thanks very much-I probably wouldn't undertake the upgrade myself but get a professional to do it

Would you have any idea of what sort of ball park figures I could be looking at ??

Shouldn't be more than 400 depends on region though where bouts in the UK are you ?

Sponsored Links
I'm in Glasgow

Will any alarm engineer be able to do it or should I go with the company that installed the system? Presumably I am better getting a few quotes

Is there any particular system I should be thinking of changing it to?

Thanks again-really appreciate it

i know a company that will do it for much less, but hey, thats why we have forum rule 9

as for any engineer, depends how good they are.

scantronic 9100 is very old, not all engineers know how it works.

yes get some quotes, but ask first can they crash and reprogramme a scantroic 9100

oh, and as you are in glasgow, just thought you may lkike to know galaxy panels aare made somewhere near there (well Scotland)

Sorry to be thick Breezer-but what does "crash and reprogramme" mean in idiot terms-is that just a "service" ?

If the panel is working ok after the engineer tests it, do I still need to go to the expense even if the panel is a few years old?

Presumably the service cost would include complete reprogramming as the engineers code isn't known?
Will the engineer advise me of any improvements which I might need?

I can not advise you of what the engineer will tell you, or what costs you will incur. It may also be that your alarm does not comply to the standards of the time, and should be changed acordingly, but hopefully this will not be the case.

I can tell you your panel is more than "a few years old", i would guess at least 10 years which is old for an alarm panel (dont forget it is working 24/7, the fact it is not turned on is irelevant since it is still watching all its tampers)

I will bet you a virtual pint that your panel will give up / go wrong at the most inconveiniant time, then you will wish you had got a new one) and since they are obsolete you can't get parts for them.

If you call an alarm company other than the one who installed it, they will not know the existing engineers code.

The engineers code is required to do almost everything to an alarm.

If the code is not known on a 9100 the engineer has to crash and reprogramme it.

By this they have to "make it forget everything it knows" and then "teach it again"

which incudes its exit time, entry time, what ccts are on entry route etc,

For some one who knows what they are doing, if there is a circuit list (saying what detector is where) it can be done in around 10 minutes) and then it needs to be tested and demonstrated to you.

Since having to crash and reprogramme is a pain, MOST manufacturers of panels now have the option to just delete engineers code, but as yours is so old it wasnt thought of. (but they (they being the people that made your panel) now incorporate this facility on all newer panels)

With a 9100, you, the end user can not even change their own code, this was changed on the 9200 and all panels after this

I personaly like the 9100, but they are getting old

it does have a cople of unusual features that not all alarm engineers know

it can have an 8 digit user code

it can be "part set" by pressing "omit" then the code

it can show (if programmed to) a mains failure by flashing 1 + the fault led

it can have the part set tone changed (if programmed)

It has also had several software updates, so if yours is really old it cant do the above, i think the first ones came on the market around 1986

Thanks again-really appreciate your detailed response

The company that fitted it are still in existence so I will get them back in the first instance and get it serviced etc and get them to quote for a new panel etc if needed

cheers

I'm doing a panel change Wednesday - charge is £150.

You can get an entire new system for £350. (In a house that's never had one before).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back