Scantronic house alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re-written to satisfy Slippyr4

Moved in to my detached bungalow near the seaside.
attached is a Scantronic alarm age unknown.

Turned off mains to work on lights and it sent the alarm in to tamper mode and activated the control box siren. I entered the four digit code to reset according to manual instructions which silenced the siren but did not reset the sytem under backup battery system.

Restored mains power to all systems including the alarm and the tamper siren sounded again. I entered the reset code 6 times before it would finaly reset. The following 3 days it was ok and during that period I carried out a full system check to make sure the alarm was working properly, the tests were sucessfull. On the evening of the third day it went back in to tamper mode again and I cannot get it to reset so have pulled the fuse out of the junction box feeding the alarm to silence the siren.
Doing this I notice the bell siren sounds very low like it's got a sore throat, that I can live with, but the tamper has got me as if everything checks out on test as ok why does the bloody system keep going in to tamper mode ?
I have checked the 12volt backup battery and the reading I get is 13.5v
so I have ruled out the battery.

That clear enough Slippyr4? if this gives you a headache get your eyes checked it may be staring at the computer screen for so long causing it.

Addition 17/11 Your very quiet Slippyr4 got nothing to say?

Addition 2 18/11

breezer, JohnD and supersubby thanks for your info it was the battery. Had it tested by a mate and he said it's knackered.
And to Slippyr4 and burn-all -sheds I got headache re-reading my first effort to describe the fault.

Sponsored Links
Moved in April 04 Feb 05 alarm control centre recovered link box as link to police via control not required. Turned off circuit covering alarm it set off control box siren showing 'Tamper' 'Fault' 'Service' lights

Started reading that and got a headache.

Write clearly, using full words, punctuation, etc and people might be able to understand what you're asking.

If you open the cover up on the panel there should be a sticker on the PCB giving the panel name (look for something like '9100').
The bell sounds like it is 'Strangled' because with the mains removed it is ringing on its own battery which has drained down.
It sounds like a main battery fault, although you are getting a healthy 13.5 v dc reading the only true way to check the battery is to measuere the amps.
In a normal situation you should be able to switch off the mains for at least 8 hours without setting off the alarm.
If you find the model number of the alarm panel I may be able to offer some specific advise.

greengrass said:
Re-written to satisfy Slippyr4
Not just him - I gave up trying to understand your appalling babble too, it's just that I couldn't be @rsed to reply - best just to ignore the incoherent, I always find.

That clear enough Slippyr4? if this gives you a headache get your eyes checked it may be staring at the computer screen for so long causing it.

Addition 17/11 Your very quiet Slippyr4 got nothing to say?
And if I were slippyr4, I'd now be ignoring you as well.

Sponsored Links
You could take out the battery and test it under load, you may find it doesn't hold a charge well and the voltage drops. It should operate the horn quite well and maintain the syst for several hours. You can get them from Eurobatteries or Rapideducation (both on web)
It will be a Sealed Lead Acid designed for long-term continuous float charging and ought to last 5 years. Yuasa is a top brand but others are cheaper

They will cover a temp power cut, but if you intend do turn off the power for long, you may need an external batt to stop it worrying.

http://eurobatteries.com/sitepages/sla.asp

http://www.rapideducation.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=&STK_PROD_CODE=M61228&XPAGENO=1

the answer is it IS the battery, if you don't know how old the alarm is that means its never been serviced, so the battery has had it, the symptoms you describe ary typical of low battery on a scantronic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back