scratch resistant clear varnish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have a window with a low, wide and deep interior sillboard. It gets scratched quite a lot,
I will shortly be glossing it with white paint and would like a recommendation for a clear varnish which would help protect it from abuse.

Any advice would be appreciated.

bludger

Sponsored Links
Varnish will also scratch and will be more difficult to repaint. If it is very flat, you might consider putting a piece of white laminate or clear acrylic on top. Some people put plate glass or clear acrylic on top of tables to protect then from scratches and splashes.

Or you could just paint it once a year. I have a windowboard in the bathroom that is not screwed down (it is a close fit so not unstable) so if i wanted to i could easily take it outside to sand off and paint whenever i felt like it.

Is it cats or flowerpots that do the scratching?

Hello JohnD,

Ah, I thought there might be a really hard varnish that didn't scratch. I take your point that painting varnish would be difficult.

I think it's mainly flowerpots that do the damage, along with a couple of carved heads the wife likes to show off. Perhaps a stern word with her might be best of all but I do like your idea of a removable covering like clear acrylic. Dunno why I didn't think of that myself......

Thanks for your help.

Bludger

Varnish is more or less paint without the pigment.

As John says it will still scratch unless you went for a two pack expoxy varnish (which will probably strip the coating underneath anyway)

On top of that...it will yellow and look really horrible over time.

Sponsored Links
Hi Both,

Well, I'm glad I asked. You've saved me from making a nasty mistake. Thanks for troubling to reply.

Bludger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back