Scratched glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a window with scratches on (were there when we moved in). I know you can can scratches out of some plastics with abrasive cleaners. Is there a way I can 'polish' the scratches out of the glass?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Jewellers rouge is probably the only one you will get anywhere near with but it'll take about three hours of constant circular rubbing and the result will be a clear but dull patch, but no scratch.
Give it the 2 meter rule, stand back 2 meters if you can't see it then live with it if you can, replace the glass

If the scratches are deep enough to feel with your fingernail (e.g. someone with a diamond ring, or the windowcleaner dropped his rag on grit) then you will grow old before being able to polish it out. I used a windscreen scratch removing kit with an electric motor and only managed (as skybluescooby says) to end up with an annoying dull patch instead of the shiny smooth finish I hoped for.

Thanks for the replies - guess I'll be sticking with it as it is :(

Sponsored Links
Foregive me for for going off topic just a tad,

but many years ago, the new,rather arrogant and pompous Mangaging Director of the large building firm I was working for, called me into his office.

The building was made from precast concrete and over the years, the acid from the concrete (when it rained - very common problem some years back) had eaten into the bronzed double glazed window panels that adorned his office.

"I want you to polish those windows with Jewellers Rouge and a buffer pad" to remove those marks" said the MD. He then picked up this B&D drill with a small circular obital buffing pad attached to it. "I'll show you how to do it".

Now as hopefully most people know, when you use one of those, you should only apply it at an angle and use only the edge of the disc to buff with.

Not the MD. Straight onto the glass with the full flat face of the disc.

After I pulled him out of the now totally smashed £300 (This was about 1982!!!) bronzed unit, he rather shakenly said " I think we'll just buy new units shall we?"...

Woody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back