Screeding over tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay anybody who knows anything about painting over ceramic tiles please help. I have an entrance way full of ugly orange ceramic tiles that I really want to go away. Replacing them is messy and they are all in perfect shape. (Of course they are. The ugly ones never seen to chip or crack.) Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has ever tried painting over these things and what the procedure is. I need this to be economical and I feel painting them would be perfect. I can't tile over top of the existing tile as the floor would be too high. The door wouldn't open, toes would be stubbed where the carpet meets the tile. No good. Anybody have any suggestions? Better yet has anybody ever done this?

Sponsored Links
They should come up easy after getting first one out. Really the only solution is to replace. Painting on ceramic floors is not recommended unless you can get them in a kiln :evil:
Tried once using acid etchers in prep, but it just wore off. Even if you lay self adhesive tiles onto ceramic in time they will sweat and lift off.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your help. Replacement is the way to go. Too bad. I still keep hoping.

gcol said:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=210860

Silly me, it seems we've already been down this road. Why are you asking the same questions twice Angel?

Regards,
Gcol

I'm asking the same question under a different heading as it was suggested to me to open up the topic under the heading "screeding over ceramic tiles." It was suggested that perhaps tile layers and masonry people would know of an overlay product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back