Screwfix 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After reading a recent post about screwfix - the gist being they stung somebody with an exrtra handling charge - I thought I'd post another view.

I've spent the last 15 months completely renovating our Victorian garden flat and have purchased a small mountain of stuff from screwfix and not had a single problem.

Last week though, a Ferm random orbital sander I'd bought from them in June last year started losing power and the switching was intermittent. I thought it was the brushes so I stripped it and it was - I'd hammered it over the near twelve months though, so it was due. Lacking a replacement set I cleaned the commutator with a washing machine engineer's comstick and it ran smoother. But I knew that wouldn't last.

I called screwfix to ask if I could order some spare brush sets.

They said, "we'll pick the sander up on Tuesday and you can have a new one. You've got a 3 year guarantee."

I explained that it only needed brushes but they said not to worry, We'll send you a new sander and some spares.

Now that's not bad for a £26 power tool. 12 months damned hard use and then a new one!

Has anybody else had a similar experience of them?

Sponsored Links
I've had quite a bit from them too.

- just gutted they've managed to add another charge on to the otherwise excellent service.

there was the (4.95) minimum postage charge - then a £5.95 handling charge. usually save up till I've got +£45 worth of stuff to save on the P&P

Sponsored Links
i stopped using them about 2 years ago.
i got fed up with cheap stuff that was regularly faulty.

if its for your own home use thats fine ,but when it costs me extra time and money i may as well of spent the extra in the first place

aleks

that's a sneaky trick. I'll watch out for that.

All the gear I order is for "home" use...sort of. I've renovated two flats from the ground up - and we've lived in them both while the work's been done - in the last two years and haven't had a single problem with anything supplied. I guess I've been lucky then!

Ive used screwfix for around five years.Theyre very competitive on most things but watch your local shops for special offers like power tools and your pound shops for things like rubble sacks.
Industrial clothing is cheaper locally and you get to try it for size.
But otherwise Ive had no problems whatsoever.I save up a list in advance and go for the free postage option.I find ordering on sunday night usually gets me the stuff on monday morning
The test of any firm is when things go wrong.Screwfix have been brilliant.
I once ordered some circuit breakers and must have been completely sozzled at the time as I ordered a few at the wrong rating.
I phoned up and explained.They sent ,by return a prepaid sticker to go on the jiffy bag (ALWAYS KEEP THE INVOICE AND THE PACKAGING UNTIL YOURE SURE YOU HAVE GOT EVERYTHING RIGHT)and the card was credited with no surcharges.
I did a similar thing when I ordered some cabinet doors and a hinge-hole cutter.I didnt read the catalogue description properly -it said the hinge-holes were ready cut.
A phone call and a prepaid sticker later and the problem solved.
I deal mainly with computer firms who can be some right gits and I wish they were all like screwfix.

i recall buying 4 same somethings from scewfix, and the lady said, "if you buy 1 more that will mean you get free postage and if you need a fifth one you will already have it and you won't need another 1 plus its postage"

so i did (any one need a same something) point being she saved me money in the long run.

As for tools wearing out, even with screwfix , you get what you pay for. quality costs

does anybody know that screw fix uses the same stuff that b&q sells

Okay,does anybody know that b&q uses the same stuff that screw fix sells

Who's cheaper (as if I need to ask)? Try Buildbase first (used to be
Edwards round our way), half the bloody price but no piped music :LOL:

I would swear that screwfix direct (who own screwfix) are related in some way to b & Q , unfortunatley the directory with the answer is not availaable on sundays, B & Q is part of the king fisher group, who own woollies, comet

I know breezer, I live in Redditch which has the Kingfisher shopping centre, guess which shops are the only ones that can really afford the rents ?

It might be easier to figure which companies aren't part of the same group these days. I've long since thought that they all **** in the same pot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back